Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Let's Talk "Skeeters"...!

With the pending tropical storm dropping so much rain on so many places, this is something we all know is coming!

Here on the coast, we have come to accept these pest as a part of life. However, I don't think that many of us have any idea just how dangerous they can be! This writeup from Listverse.com explains more about this major problem in pretty good detail!


The mosquito is possibly responsible for more deaths throughout history than any other macroscopic animal. They’re easy to kill, but typically not until they bite you. Then you smack them but the damage is done. Usually, all that happens is you itch for a little while. This is because the mosquito’s saliva contains histamines, which irritate the skin.

The reason they are extremely dangerous is because they transmit diseases infectious to humans and livestock, many of them fatal without treatment. Malaria is the most well-known, which can kill 20% of the time in severe cases, even with treatment. They also transmit West Nile Virus, lymphatic filariasis (roundworms), tularemia, dengue fever, yellow fever, and others. All of these can kill.

In addition to the lethal diseases they carry, mosquitoes can kill on their own. They are feared throughout the Australian outback (just one more reason not to go there) and the southern Sahara, where shallow deluges provide them excellent breeding in the water. When the larvae hatch, they attack in swarms of over 1 billion insects, descending on cows and camels and draining them of blood within 10 minutes.


Just a little something to keep in mind during the wet season where you live!

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. How about some fresh 7-up cake? Great with butter on it!

14 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Ten seconds? Wow!

Sixbears said...

They haven't been bad here this year, and that's a blessing. West Nile is making the rounds again, but mostly south of me. Sometimes it pays to be in the cooler mountains.

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Skeeters are always a problem here. But by far there are more flies.
I can put up a strip of flypaper on the deck and by the end of the day it it covered. A lot of the horses on the farm down the road have little stocking on their ears - looks silly, but it works!
Never heard of a 7-up cake, but willing to give it a try!
How is the new puddy tat?

linda m said...

Our "skeeters" weren't bad until it started raining up here. Now they are bad but only after dark. You can't imagine how much repellent hubby and I go thru every year because of those vicious beasts. Didn't know that about the new hatchlings tho - WOW!!! Coffee with cake sounds good today, Thanks!

JO said...

We have skeeters here really bad. Of course we have had almost constant rain and with all the lakes and meadows well... I have tried every spray out there. You can hear the skeeters laughing as you spray yourself. I was going threw my fishing gear and found SSS Bug Guard plus by Avon It works! I just hate the smell but it's that our be eatin alive. Of course I don't like the smell of any bug spray.

I have had that 7-up cake so I will be right over for a piece and of course coffee.

How is the new roomie doing?

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
I think the article says "10 minutes", but that's still pretty fast!

Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Sixbears...
Being in the cooler mountains would be a blessing when it comes to the pest. Guess location is everything.

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Phyllis...
Flies just drive me crazy! I mean, Absolutely crazy! I swat at them and do what I can to get them gone!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Linda...
The skeeters here hang out day or night! To them it's always vampire time!

They used to leave me alone mostly, but this last two years I seem to be a favorite target!

Thanks for the visit today!

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
I'm not fond of the smell of bug spray either, but you do what you have to when it comes to protection!

Glad you found something that works! That's the main thing!

Thanks, sweetie, for dropping in today!

Dizzy-Dick said...

Just want to tell you that the picture is of a dragon fly not a mosquito. But, I am sure you know that and was just testing us. Do I get a prize?

HermitJim said...

Hey Dizzy...
Guess I selected the wrong picture from my "critter" section! Must be from all the help I'm getting with these furry feet walking on my keyboard!

I did change it, but I appreciate you calling it to my attention!

Thanks for coming over and for the heads-up this morning!

Bob from Athens said...

Hey DD the Hermit was just a bit confused cause some of them blood suckers around here are at least that big. You probably heard the story about the two skeeters deciding to eat him here because if they take him home the big ones will get him.

Bob Mc said...

The only possible reason I can see for mosquitoes being placed on Earth in the first place was to feed mosquito fish. :)

HermitJim said...

Hey Bob...
They do get pretty big here on the coast. I saw several that I swear I could put a saddle on.

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Bob...
Try as I may, I can't see one reason they were put here either.

Just another of life's mysteries, I reckon!

Thanks, Bob, for coming by today!

JMD said...

Unfortunately we have skeeters that have the West Nile. Then the "no see ums" the size of a gnat that love feet, ankles. Bug repellent is now our best friend. We slather up before we step foot outside.

A matter of survival.

HermitJim said...

Hey JMD...
Bug repellent is becoming a must have for survival kits! If nothing else, it helps save your sanity!

Be careful out there with all the bugs attacking at every opportunity!

Thanks for coming by today!