Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday Travels To The Rock Tents...!

I thought we would stay close to home on this addition of Friday's travels.

Since this location is in New Mexico, it's close enough to visit in person should you wish.

Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks





New Mexico’s Kasha-Katuwe tent rocks were formed around seven million years ago as a result of ash deposited by pyroclastic flow from a volcanic explosion. As is the case with most rock formations, weathering and erosion can be credited with creating the area’s remarkable geography. The markedly pointy phallus-like stones receive their interesting name from the area’s native language and means “white cliffs”. The rocks vary in height from only a few feet to over ninety feet tall.

You know, if we just take the time to explore a bit, there are some outstanding places to visit! I'm thinking that this would be another place to spend a couple of days!

We can have our coffee outside this morning. I'm thinking it's warm enough, and the weather isn't too bad!

8 comments:

Phil said...

Pretty cool, I had never heard of them.
Be a good place to play hide and seek for sure.

Unknown said...

Natural wonders are the best. I did not pay much attention to the ones that are close to me when I was younger, but now, they definitely hold my interest. Love visiting these places now and I am always astounded by their beauty and history.

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Lots and lots of good sites to see without even leaving the country.
Thanks Mr. Hermit for giving us another interesting place to see!
It's 28 here and a chance of freezing rain...brrrr.

linda m said...

What an interesting place. Another tour for your Hermit Jim Tour Company. Cloudy, 33 degrees, and damp outside here.

JO said...

OK that goes on my trip list. I am ready for something new. I had never heard of this place before.
Thank you for this post. Like Pyllis said there is no reason to go outside of the USA to see great things.

Sixbears said...

I like. Interesting bit of geology.

Anonymous said...

I was just reading about tuff rock in Anatolia! NICE!

Dizzy-Dick said...

Will have to put that on my list of places I want to see.