Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Our Never Ending Fascination With Mars...

As far back as man can remember, he has always been fascinated with the planets, especially Mars.

During the 1900s, that interest almost became obsessive. Speculation with the so-called canals, the creatures living there, the proper way to communicate with them...the discussions went on and on.

The Martian Message



In December 1900, a beam of light was seen coming from the planet Mars. The light was observed by the Lowell Observatory in the US, and newspapers around the world began to report on the possibility of Martian contact.Nikola Tesla himself believed that communication with Martians was possible and dedicated 50 years of his life to the endeavor. As far as he was concerned, this particular beam of light proved that there was indeed life on Mars. Furthermore, many people felt that the beam was an invitation to join in on some “interplanetary telegraphy.”

If you want to read some other interesting facts about Mars and our interest in it, you can find it here at Listverse.

Coffee out on the patio again this morning, where the tems are climbing to the high of 78.

9 comments:

Momlady said...

See, that's why when there are strange things that happen it's blamed on aliens.

linda m said...

I think there is life on Mars. Just not the sort of life we are expecting - no little green men, etc. I love the planets red color.

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
Probably has a lot to do with it, for sure!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
Guess we will soon find out, if things go as planned.
Thanks for coming over today!

JO said...

Mars has a great draw for sure. And yes I love its color too.

I hasn't reached the forecasts for weather here. It's been over cast and breezy. This morning down right cold again. So Here I came to enjoy the patio with you all.

Rob said...

"War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells came out in 1897 & Edgar Rice Burroughs "John Carter of Mars" came out in 1912, that's what I think of when anyone talks of the early interest in Mars.
I read "John Carter of Mars" not too long ago, I got a copy for my kindle paperwhite from Project Gutenberg. I enjoyed it.

Now I have to go see what the guesses are for the Beam of Light...

It's coffee inside again here in northern Georgia, still below 50 out there and overcast.. Enjoy your day!

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
The more the merrier. Always room for another guest... Special friends especially!
Thanks for dropping by today!


Hey Rob...
I've read both of them and I really liked the "John Carter of Mars"
Hope the weather gets better there. Bet you do also.
Thanks for the visit this morning!

Rob said...

I went looking for the 1900 "beam of light from Mars", I found a "new" light from Mars...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2601789/Is-really-just-shiny-rock-Nasa-claims-solved-mystery-light-Mars.html

Guess what showed up as the 10th hit on google? "Coffee with the Hermit: Our Never Ending Fascination With Mars..."

I have to keep looking...

http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/mars/articles/MartianFlaresALPO.pdf
The flares in question are the 1900 beam of light, a little more technical than I was looking for.

By the 5th page of the google search for "What was the Martian beam of light in 1900?" I was well past anything to do with Mars.

Changing the search to "mars beam of light 1900" found an interesting entry at https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Teslascope but it didn't even come close to answering my question.

I've had enough fun for the morning with this question, plenty of blogs still to look at and the morning comics I follow. It just hit 50 degrees here...

Dizzy-Dick said...

The size of that light is huge, must be many hundreds of miles in diameter. Compare it with the size of Mars. I am old, but I was not around at the time, so I can't say for sure what it was.

HermitJim said...

Hey Dizzy...
It was very bright, wasn't it? I wonder if they ever figured out what it was.
Thanks for the visit today!