Thursday, February 23, 2017

Smart Phone Zombies...!

It's hard to believe that so many people just turn off their common sense when it comes to having a smart phone glued to your face. Simple things like walking can become dangerous if you don't pay attention to whats going on around you.

Dutch Pavement Lights



Photo credit: theverge.com

In February 2016, a Dutch town announced the introduction of pavement lights at pedestrian crossings to guide “smartphone zombies” safely across. The lights have been installed on a trial basis in Bodegraven at a busy intersection near a school.

The light strips are designed to be seen by people who have their eyes glued to devices. The colors correspond to traffic signals—green for go, red for stop. Town council member Kees Oskam revealed that smartphone distraction has come “at the expense of attention to traffic.” Something needed to be done.

VVN, a Dutch traffic safety group, thinks that installing these lights “rewards bad behavior.” Spokesman Jose de Jong warned, “People must always look around them to check if cars are actually stopping at the red signals.”

The company that developed the “smartphone zombie” lights hopes that a successful trial run in Bodegraven will bring in new orders. With similar lights being introduced elsewhere, this is likely.

I'd like to say that I'm surprised at the steps being taken to protect folks from themselves, but this type of behaviour seems to be world wide. Like the old saying goes..."you can't fix stupid!"

Coffee out on the patio again. Please...no "smart phone zombies", OK?

7 comments:

Momlady said...

Like you said you can't fix stupid. Just about everybody waiting for a flight had their heads down and eyes on their cell phones. It's also the same in most restaurants. People aren't talking with one another anymore. It's sad.

linda m said...

What is happening to our people regarding so called technology is very sad. When a persons whole life revolves around a stupid "phone" then we are lost as a society. Maybe we shouldn't protect them from themselves; then only us "smart" ones would remain. Have a great day!!

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
Guess we are doomed to a generation of smart phone zombies. Think how much these folks are missing out on. Social interaction, family time. face to face talking with neighbors all seem to be a thing of the past!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
I have to agree with you. No one seems able to function without their tech anymore. Sad, really!
Thanks for coming over today!

JO said...

This is taking protecting stupid people to a new level. I can't walk and chew gum I would hate to see what would happen to me if I had to be sending and receiving text messages while I was walking. We were out to lunch the other day and this elderly couple sat across from us, the women never took her eyes off her phone and was hardly eating while the poor old man sat quietly eating. I have friends like that too. Why go out with people if you have to be on that stinking phone all the time. WE don't let her drive anymore because she just has to answer that damn phone and almost went off the road. Sorry about the rant.

Glad we won't have any phones at coffee.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Maybe we should just let them walk into traffic. That would cut down on the zombie population. BTW, I have a cell phone but it is the old flip phone that is small enough to fit in my blue jeans watch pocket and I very seldom use it.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I call it being rude. That's another thing that upsets me...no one has manners now days. One more thing that's gone missing.
Thanks for dropping by today, sweetie!


Hey Dizzy...
Well, I always thought the whole idea of a phone was to talk to folks, but certainly NOT all the time. Crazy, just crazy!
Thanks for the visit today!

Caddie said...

The world didn't use to need all this back and forth constant communication. WHAT happened? Driving among these chat-addicts can be a serious obstacle course. Stepping around a corner can be a hazard waiting for you - Yes indeed I've had my spills and know! Then "Sorry, I didn't see you" is their reply! Duh, Well, I wonder why. I also wonder where today's situation will be in years to come. Worse? Coffee yes, mine is cold now. Got any snacks today, Hermit; I'm a tad hungry with no Goodies with my cold coffee. Yay, Sunny day rising, though - I love 'em.