It always amazes me at how many toxic plants we have around us, often growing them because of the beauty and soothing colors. Nothing wrong with that as long as we understand that many of them can be harmful to us or our pets, so be aware.
Toxic Principle: Andromedotoxin
Azaleas are a very common plant, found in gardens all over the world. Its evergreen leaves and brilliant flowers make it an exceptionally attractive plant for many gardeners. Its flowers are white to deep pink, red, yellow, purple, blue and orange.
Despite its popularity, an underwhelming common knowledge of its toxicity exists. All parts of the Rhododendron are highly toxic, and may be fatal if eaten. Symptoms from ingestion include over-salivation, watering of eyes and nose, abdominal pain, loss of energy, depression, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty breathing, progressive paralysis of arms and legs and coma, usually leading to death. How beautiful and attractive!
How many plants to you have around the house that are toxic? Just don't eat them or even chew on the stems...OK?
Coffee out on the patio this morning. Big rain coming in a day or two.