Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Grandma King's Pinto Bean Pie...Again !!

Last year, I posted this recipe for pinto bean pie from an old family cookbook. With the emphasis now days being in large part on the use of our preps, I thought that it would be a good time to repost it.

As you can see from this recipe, all it takes to be a good cook with preps is a good imagination...and maybe just a dash of adventurous nature! Trust me, the family will love it!


I know, I know...it sounds pretty weird to all you city dwellers and maybe even some country folks as well. However, I think you'll find that this pie is really quite good! Sort of a cross between chocolate and sweet potato pie!

I remember as a kid, I was sort of skeptical of it when Grandma told me the ingredients. However, she had always made really cool desserts so I tried it...and fell in love with it! I hope you try it!

1 1/2 c. bean pulp
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves or spices of your choice
1/2 tsp vanilla
Unbaked pie shell

The easiest way I've found to prepare the beans is to cook them in the usual manner and use the leftovers. Don't be afraid to use the pulp of beans which have been seasoned (even chili powder doesn't hurt the flavor of the pie).

Pour about 2/3 cup of beans at a time and juice on a plate; and mash well with a fork. Run through a fine wire strainer or sieve (I use a large tea strainer). This removes all hulls and leaves only a smooth pulp.

Beat eggs well; add sugar a little at a time. Mix thoroughly. Add spices, milk, vanilla, and bean pulp. Mix well and pour into unbaked pie shell.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour: check to see if pie is well set. Serve pie warm or chilled with whipped cream (or cool whip...).

Now this is great with any beverage of your choice...cold milk, tea, or COFFEE!!! Man, my mouth is watering! How about you...?

Let's go get a fresh cup, OK?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! This sounds good and I ain't really a bean person. Have to give this a try.
YeOldFurt

HermitJim said...

Hey OldFurt...surprisingly, this is really good, and taste NOTHING like beans. If anything, it taste more like a rich chololate. Give it a try!

Thanks for coming by!

riverwalker said...

Should go real good with some smoked brisket!

RW

HermitJim said...

Man, you got THAT right! Thanks for the visit...

CoyotePrime said...

HemitJim, you have me drooling here. Have to try this :-)

HermitJim said...

My man, you really owe it to yourself to try this! I can almost promise you'll like it!

Thanks for coming by!

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty savory.

HermitJim said...

Hey Hermit...that it is, that it is! Wish I had some right now, in fact!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Mayberry said...

Sounds (farrrrrrrrrtttttt) good! Ha ha! Sorry, couldn't resist.....

HermitJim said...

Not a problem, Mayberry! I just happen to have some clothespins handy for just such an emergency!

Thanks for the visit!

Ken said...

...always interested in bean recipes,prepper or not,they're still one of my favorite meals...always finished off with cold glass of milk and cornbread...

HermitJim said...

Hey Ken...my folks used to eat cornbread and milk as a dessert...! They loved it!

Thanks for the visit!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Uncle, I'm thinking coffee and pintos, and we can methane-fuel the world; who needs oil, whale or Saudi, EH!!!