Friday, August 28, 2009

Got Your Head In The Clouds...?


That might be a good place for it!

You know, something as simple as knowing how the weather is depicted in the clouds above us can make you seem like an expert...especially to the kids!

It also can save you a lot of grief as far as getting caught out in unexpected bad weather. There are a lot of old wives tales, animal signs, suggestions from the old timers, even reactions of certain plants that can give you a hint of what's in store, weather-wise. Reading the cloud formations is just one of them.

Who knows? Maybe this little bit of information can someday help in an emergency situation...you just never know!

The higher the clouds, the finer the weather. If you spot wispy, thin clouds up where jet airplanes fly, expect a spell of pleasant weather.

When clouds appear like towers, the Earth is refreshed by frequent showers. When you spy large, cauliflower-like clouds that look like castles in the sky, there is probably lots of "dynamic" weather going on inside. Innocent clouds look like billowy cotton, with no "towers".

Smorgasbord of clouds? Expect rain or snow. If you have what amounts to a hodgepodge of all different types of clouds before you, weather is arriving from all different directions. That chaotic sky usually signals rain or snow.

Ring around the moon? Rain real soon. A ring around the moon usually indicates an advancing warm front, which means precipitation. Under those conditions, high, thin clouds get lower and thicker as they pass over the moon. Ice crystals are reflected by the moon's light, causing a halo to appear.

Rain foretold, long last. Short notice, soon will pass. If you find yourself toting an umbrella around for days "just in case," rain will stick around for several hours when it finally comes. The gray overcast dominating the horizon means a large area is affected. Conversely, if you get caught in a surprise shower, it's likely to be short-lived.

Once again, I have to thank the Farmer's Almanac for this information A very handy book to have on hand, if you want to know! Heck, you can even read it on line! Just follow the link above and explore the wealth of information available.

That's it for me for today! I just wanted to share this little bit of information with you, just in case. See, I'm always looking out for you! That's just the kind of guy I am...

Now, my friends, let's get some coffee and sit outside for a bit! We can study the clouds and discuss what the weather is going to do!

15 comments:

Felinae said...

Hi Uncle Hermit,

Thank you once again for the great information. :D

I would love to sit and study the clouds with you while sharing a cup of coffee.

Sounds like the perfect way to spend a morning with a friend.

Hugs~Felinae~

HermitJim said...

Hey Felinae...
Can't think of a better way to start the day, my feline friend!

Thanks so much for joining me for coffee this morning!

Kyddryn said...

Neat stuff, Mister Hermit, sir.

Then there's "Red sky at night, sialor's delight. Red sky at morning, sailors take warning." It was once expplained to me (in a nutshell) that this is in part because particulate matter in the atmosphere makes the crimsin hue in the sky, and it also gives moisture something to condense around, form clouds, and make storms.

Don't know if that's true, but I still keep a weather eye on the sky, just in case.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

HermitJim said...

Hey K...
I've always heard that saying as well...I am pretty sure it's true!

Like you said...never hurts to keep a sharp eye out! Mother Nature might just have some surprises in store...

Thanks for the visit today!

Staying Alive said...

I may just have to copy these old time weather sayings so I can have them around. I've been studying clouds lately.

Michael

Baby Sis said...

Bubba -

Hope you got the pics of the tower cloud formations over WA state that I sent yesterday - see, great minds really do work alike; clouds & weather, coffee & cookies, etc...

Love & hugs

HermitJim said...

Hey Michael...
I think sometimes that the old timers had more semse than we give them credit for...

So many things, like weather watching and home made medicine and remedies are still as true today as they ever were!

Hey, my friend, I do appreciate the visit!


Hey Sis...
I did indeed get the pictures you sent! Pretty amazing stuff!

It was those pictures, in fact, that lead me to this post! See what an inspiration you are?

Thanks for coming by, sis!

the dafthermits (Mel n andy and wee clan) said...

Hi Jim

so good to se you my old friend on the old bus here in the highlands

sorry i have not been over for a while flat out with my pics stories and new forum but it is always a pleasure to chat with you again

love light and much peace my frined

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

vlad said...

G'morn'n
Missed my daily bicycle ride in he cool hours because it is raining.
Rain is no problem. Weather is something you dress for. Drivers don't see me in the rain
or some time when it isn't.

HermitJim said...

Hey Andy...
Always a pleasure to have you drop by when you can...

Your pics and stories are always a joy, my friend!

Many thanks to you for coming by today to share a cup and to visit!


Hey Hapi...
Thanks so much for stopping in for a visit!


Hey Vlad...
It's amazing that so many folks just don't have enough common sense to notice what's around or in front of them!

You be careful out there, my friend! It's getting crazy!

JoJo said...

Good morning again.
Just noticed my post didn't take. Oh well it is a beautiful day again and there are just some thin whispy clouds out here. coffee is good and I am glad to be with you all on the patio this morning. Thanks for the lesson on the clouds. When I was a kid back on the east coast they would say when the shy was very red a sunset in the summer the next day would be very hot. And it was.
Pass the pot please.

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
I was wondering where you were this morning! I figured maybe you were out chasing the boys around the campsite!

I think we all can remember some of the old weather sayings from when we were kids...and how true many of them were.

Thanks, sweetie, for dropping in...and you take care out there, OK?

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

I never heard that information about the clouds in that way before, but they are probably true all over the world.
Have a great day!
Christer.

HermitJim said...

Hey Christer...
I am glad to see you here this morning. I would imagine that cloud formations mean the same, no matter where they are formed!

Glad to have you drop by today to join us for a cup...don't be a stranger!