Friday, April 6, 2012

How About Some "Moose Cheese"...?

That's right! You did hear me say moose cheese!

Heck, I didn't even think that you could milk a moose, but I guess that baby moose have figured out the right way to do it.

Now before you start thinking about a new home based business selling "moose cheese", you might want to read this article!

Healthy, Tasty... Expensive

STOCKHOLM (JP) - Farmers in northern Sweden are milking moose, hoping that cheese-lovers with deep pockets will develop a taste for moose cheese.

It's healthy and tasty - and very expensive (nearly $500 per pound) because moose milk is hard to obtain.

Christer & Ulla Johansson started the 59-acre “Moose House” - the only moose dairy farm in Europe - seven years ago in Bjursholm (400 miles north of Stockholm). Moose House has 14 moose in the fields, but only three cows (Gullan, Haelga & Juna) can be milked. The cows were found as abandoned calves in the woods around Bjursholm, and were taken in by the Johansson family. The domesticated moose stay outdoors all year, and weigh about 500 kilograms (1,100 pounds).

Why so expensive? Moose only produce milk between May and September, and it takes up to two hours to milk a moose, with each producing up to a gallon of milk per day. Moose milk contains 12% fat and 12% protein, is kept refrigerated and curdling is done three times per year – yielding 660 pounds of cheese per year. Made in three varieties, the moose cheese can be sampled at the farm’s restaurant. Sales are mainly to upscale Swedish hotels and restaurants, and they have plans to export more cheese - especially their sour feta-type, which is laid down in oil and is easy to transport.

Moose House attracts 25,000 visitors per year, and is the main attraction in an activity center that also offers fishing, golf, canoe tours, and riding.

You can find out more about this high priced cheese here...

I don't think I'll ever complain about the high cost of cheese again! This makes the regular ol' American made cheese look pretty good, regardless of the cost!

Now how about some fresh coffee on the patio? We can watch the crows fight over a slice of stale bread!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those who has tried it says the cheese is delicious. But it is way to expensive for me :-) :-) :-) But I don't understand how they dare even go close to those moose cows, a moose can never be fully tamed and is always dangerous. They kick from both ends and the bite isn't nice either :-)

I hope this comment doesn't disappear like others done. Blogger seems to hate me now days.

Have a happy Easter!
Christer.

Sixbears said...

There are plenty of moose in NH but nobody is milking them. Good eating though.

Anyone who milks a moose isn't getting paid enough. Big dumb crazy animals.

Ben in Texas said...

How can they highlight Moose and ignore Squirrel? (Rocky and Bullwinkle)

( sorry, that's where my brain wandered off too )

Bob from Athens said...

Gotta agree with Sixbears for sure on this. Spending two hours milking a moose for one gallon of milk, I would be charging at least $5,000 a pound and not sure that even that would be enough !

JO said...

I will stick with American cheese with the store label even at those prices.

We can toast the stale bread and put peanut butter on it :-)

Dizzy-Dick said...

OK, it is probably good, but I think for the price I will stick to my favorite Extra Sharp Cheddar.

TROUBLEnTX said...

Sounds like the coffee that comes from the beans that have gone thru some animal's excrement. Guess i'd rather have the cheese,,,,

HermitJim said...

Hey Christer...
I think I have the problem with your comments disappearing fixed!

You were right! They were going to thew spam section...why, I do not know!

Thanks for pointing this out to me, my friend!


Hey Sixbears...
Maybe you could start a new trend by rounding some of them up and learning to milk them!

Guess if it were easy everyone would be doing it!

Thanks for dropping by today!


Hey Ben...
I figured you would remember Rocky and Bullwinkle! Wonder if anyone else knows who they were?

Thanks, buddy, for coming over! Always appreciate it!


Hey Bob...
Doesn't seem like much milk for the amount they work, that's for sure!

I thank you for the visit today!


Hey JoJo...
All the critters around here have started watching for me since I began throwing bread out for them!

Guess they know I'm not a threat!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!


Hey Dizzy...
I'm with you on staying with the sharp cheese made in the U.S.A.!

Sharp cheddar is my favorite as well!

Thanks for dropping by today!


Hey Trouble...
I think I'll pass on that type of coffee as well! Read about it, but No thanks!

Rather have the cheese myself!

Thanks for coming over this morning.

BBC said...

I'm not about to try milking a pissed off moose cow, and my ego doesn't need expensive stuff.

I sure made some good split pea soup and cornbread though.

HermitJim said...

Hey BBC...
Homemade soup and cornbread...that's a combination that's hard to beat anytime!

Thanks for coming by this morning!

Gorges Smythe said...

At that price, I guess I'll just stick with cheddar.