Monday, March 31, 2014

Strange Book For Monday Mystery...!

I have to admit that I read a lot. By a lot, I try and read a book a day! However, I have never ran across a book such as this!

All through the ages there have been strange and mysterious books, sometimes even the author wasn't known. This one, I believe, was the strangest of them all!

The Rohonc Codex



One of the most mysterious books in existence today is a work known as the Rohonczi Codex, commonly spelled Rohonc Codex. Not only do we not know what it says, we also have no idea where it comes from. In the early 19th century, the manuscript was donated to the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in the city of Rohonc, but that’s where the trail tapers off.

One of the reasons the Rohonc Codex has remained undecyphered for so long is its apparent alphabet. Most alphabets have somewhere between 20 and 40 characters, making it relatively easy to start replacing coded symbols with letters. The Rohonc Codex has nearly 200 separate symbols in its 448 pages, and no matter how many scholars take a crack at it, nobody can agree on a translation, let alone a general geographic area where it might have been written. Guesses range from Hungary to Romania to India.

It’s such an impressive code that scholars in the 19th century concluded that it had to be a hoax, although these days it’s believed to be genuine. If you want to take a crack at it, you can access all the pages online.

You have to wonder why someone would spend so much time and energy writing a book such as this if they didn't want to have it read. At least, it makes me wonder! Part of the whole mystery to me is the fact that no one can even tell where the darn thing came from. How bizarre is that?

Coffee outside again this morning! I'll share our sunshine!

11 comments:

Shadowmoss said...

According to wikipedia - the difinitive source... - the code has been broken, but the results not yet published. It is just a religious text, like a primer or something. Then again, that may be what 'they' want us to think. :)

Mamahen said...

Great mystery!!! To not even know by who or at least where it was written is just mind boggling !!!! Warmer temps sound nice.....Some fresh fruit salad sounds good with sunshine. Anyone care for some?

Chickenmom said...

It must be some sort of religious bible. That's what I get from the drawings.
Coffee outside and fruit salad sounds wonderful - save me a seat!

linda m said...

I think it is something left behind by extra terrestrials! hehehe Coffee outside sounds great, so does fresh fruit salad. I'll bring some home made granola.

Sixbears said...

I love a good mystery, especially concerning books. There are a number of lost writing systems out there, with books no one can read.

MamaHen said...

Linda beat me to what I was going to say! lol! very interesting though.

JO said...

Very interesting indeed. Even the drawings can be from many places. It will be interesting also if like Shadowmoss mentioned the code has been broken to hear the findings.

Fruit salad sounds great and of course a cup of that wonderful coffee.

Anonymous said...

I love these mysteries and sometimes I wish we didn't solve them because the imagination of what it might say usually is better than reality :-) As always when there's an unsolved mystery I go for alien :-) :-) :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say, my bet would be on a forbidden religious text -- some late-living gnostics, perhaps, hiding their scripture in code.

I look forward to the publication.

HermitJim said...

Hey Shadowmoss...
I didn't see that, but thanks for the info! Now if they would only share what it means!

Thanks for coming by today!



Hey Mamahen...
It does make for a good topic for our mystery day.

Thanks for stopping by today!



Hey Phyllis...
You're probably right about that!

Fruit salad does sound good, doesn't it?

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Linda M...
You just never know, do ya?

Looks like everyone's in favor of the patio today!

Thanks for coming by today!



Hey Sixbears...
Isn't it strange that so many of those languages are still a mystery?

Thanks for coming over!



Hey Anne...
Guess many of us seem to think the same way!

Good to see you this morning! I appreciate you coming by!



Hey Jo...
It is, without a doubt, a wondrous book!

Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by today!



HermitJim said...

Hey Christer...
So often the imagined solution is far more interesting than the original!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Herlanderwalking...
I have a sneaking suspicion you are correct about that!

Wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure!

Thanks for stopping by today!