Thursday, January 4, 2018

Crazy Snowballs...!

Who would have ever guessed that Mother Nature would make her own snowballs, just as if She were getting ready for an epic snowball fight?

According to this article I found over at Listverse, these almost perfect snowballs came straight from the sea. Nature did a good job on them from what I can tell.

Ice Balls



Photo credit: BBC

In a remote village in Siberia in 2016, the residents were greeted with an odd assortment of objects that seemed to have been washed ashore from the inner reaches of the sea.

Stretching for 18 kilometers (11 mi), giant balls of ice, some as large as 1 meter (3 ft) in diameter or as small as a tennis ball, covered the shore of the Gulf of Ob. It was as though nature was prepping for its own snowball fight. Even the village elders did not know what to make of it.

Also known as ice boulders, ice balls are formed out of frazil ice (a slushy mixture of ice crystals and water). Rough waters and strong winds roll the ice over and over again to give the balls their spherical shape, which can also take on a tan color due to sand.

Calmer waves result in a more flattened, pancake-like version. Unfortunately, with a weight of up to 23 kilograms (50 lb), these balls of solid ice would not make a snowball fight very enjoyable.

I don't think I want to be hit by a snowball weighing in at 40 to 50 lbs., or by any snowball at all to tell the truth. Just not my cup of tea, if you know what I mean.

Coffee in the kitchen again this morning. Still freezing on the patio.

8 comments:

linda m said...

Having lived in the northern part of the US for the last 30 years I can assure you I do not like being hit by snowballs. The only thing snow is good for is to look at. Yes, I know it provides moisture for the ground but then it should only fall on the ground and stay off my driveway and sidewalks. Sorry about the rant but I really don't like snow and I had to shovel the stuff again yesterday. I really need to move to a warmer place.

Momlady said...

Once in a great while w have snow here in north GA. But right now it's cold enough to freeze a well digger's butt. There's ice on my pond! I've lived up north and that's why I now live in GA. I think the weather and all the natural events that happen are Mother Earth's way of letting us know who is truly in charge,

JO said...

No I wouldn't enjoy getting hit with one of those either and I really don't want to be in that much cold period.

It just started raining and it wasn't going to rain here said the no weather people. Coffee in the kitchen it is I don't mind with good company

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
I can understand your dislike of snow and of having to shovel it. Come on down south...we'll make room for ya!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Momlady...
I think you're right about the message from Mother Earth. Heck, they even got snow in Florida yesterday!
Thanks for coming over today!

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I'll take r4ain over snow any day. I do NOT like the cold...period!
Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by today!

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

I,too, don't want to get hit by one of those, Bubba, but I'd love to see them. Briefly, of course, then back to my warm chalet with a big fire.

Big hugs to keep you warm -

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...
I'll settle for looking at the pictures, thank you. Did I mention I don't like the cold?
Thanks for the visit today, sis!

jenny mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.