Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Strange Looking Mantis...!

Mother Nature sure has some scary looking creatures in our world and NO, I don't mean your neighbor next door!

Take this bad boy, for instance. If I saw it raised up to full height, I would probably run the other way. This rascal is just downright evil looking.

Devil’s Flower Mantis



Idolomantis Diabolica

One of the largest types of praying mantis, the Devil’s Flower Mantis is also one of the strangest. And that’s saying a lot when you’re talking about praying mantids. Females of the species can measure up to 5 inches (13 cm) long, and have developed a range of natural coloring that allows them to mimic the Devil’s Flower, a type of orchid.

Mantids are predators, and their hunting style usually involves sitting motionless until their prey comes within reach, and then whipping their forearms out at lightning speed to snag flies, beetles, even, in some cases, birds. The Devil’s Flower Mantis uses color patterns that mimic a flower to actually lure its prey within reach.


Say what you will, but in my eyes this guy is way beyond scary!

Coffee in the kitchen again this morning!

8 comments:

linda m said...

I think it is beautiful. Not that I want to meet up with one in nature. But the picture sure is beautiful. Nature has a lot of scary critters, including some humans. haha

Momlady said...

I'd stay away.

JO said...

It is beautiful but I really could pass on seeing one. They and the others of their kind kill humming birds, so you know I don't like them. Of course I hate the huge spider that scared the crap out of me last night, but I found him this morning looking down at me from the ceiling but I got him.

Not as coo as yesterday morning so yes coffee in the kitchen.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
Yeah, not everything can be as attractive as me! Just kidding, of course!.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Momlady...
I sure hear ya on that!
Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Jo...
I really don't like spiders at all. As far as the mantas leave me alone, I'll do the same with them.
Thanks , dear, for dropping by this morning!

Mamahen said...

Yeah, I'll pass on checingthis guy out up close and personal:))

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
My thoughts exactly.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!

Ashley Nicole King said...

"... mantis, seen here in a perfect recreation of the Swan Kick from Karate Kid"

HermitJim said...

Hey Ashley...
Now that you mention it, he does resemble the kick.
Thanks for the visit today!