Tuesday, September 18, 2018

A Very Creepy Mushroom...!

We all know that Mother Nature can come up with some strange looking plants, but this is one mushroom that is just plain creepy...at least to me!

Devil’s Fingers Mushroom



Photo credit: Fendy/Blogger

Clathrus archeri, better known as devil’s fingers or octopus stinkhorn, is a truly creepy mushroom. In its mature form, it has four to eight fingers as red as a fire engine with black spheres that resemble suction cups on an octopus’s tentacles. These black spheres are gleba, which emit a rancid smell reminiscent of rotting meat. This attracts flies, which disperse the plant’s spores. The smell explains the “stinkhorn” part of its name.

Like all stinkhorns, devil’s fingers start life in a white, partially buried, egg-like bulb. When it bursts from the bulb, the fingers are white and look like a corpse’s hand and sleeve rising from the grave. Eventually, the fingers stand erect, rising to 10 centimeters (4 in) in height and spreading out to 20 centimeters (8 in) in width. Although it is not toxic, its smell makes it inedible.

I really don't care what you call it, but I say again that this is one creepy mushroom. I want no part of it, thanks all the same. Thanks to Listverse for this nightmare.

Coffee out on the patio this morning. No rain in the forecast.

8 comments:

HermitJim said...


Mamahen said...

That is one nasty fungus! I agree on not wanting any part if that:)) Patio sounds good. I'll bring some home made cinnamon buns to share:))

linda m said...

That is such a creepy looking mushroom; not something i would want to eat. It is raining here today, so jining you on the patio sounds great. i'll bring an almond Danish to share.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
You know the way to win me over, for sure! Home made cinnamon buns will certainly do it.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Linda...
You ladies are spoiling me with these home made goodies. But I love it!
Thanks for coming over today

Rob said...

That's weird!

HermitJim said...

Hey Rob...
I have to agree with you on that! Weird sure describes it.
Thanks for the visit today!

JO said...

That is very creepy looking and if it smells even worse than it looks I hope I never come across one.

Rain here tomorrow so say the guessers but cooler temps. I know I'm late is there any coffee left. Bet there is this is Mr.Hermits place.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
Always some coffee ay the Hermit's house, to be sure.
Thanks for dropping by today!