Saturday, September 15, 2018

Let's Talk About The Rain...!

I guess that really should read "the lack of rain." Most of us, especially along the Carolina coast, don't have that problem right now. It's hard to even think about the lack of rain when the stuff is falling at record breaking levels. Here is something to think about though. Ever wonder where the most arid place in the world is? It may surprise you.

Arid Land



Where is the driest place on earth?

The Sahara desert? Nevada? Actually, it’s Antarctica. Some parts of the continent hasn’t seen any rain for two million years! A desert is technically defined as an area of land that receives less than 254mm (10 inches) of rain a year. The Sahara gets 25 mm, Antarctica gets around the same amount, but some areas of Antarctica never get rain, and haven’t for millennia. Making Antarctica the driest place on earth. Also, Antarctica can claim to be the windiest place on earth, with wind speeds of up to 200mph, the fastest ever recorded.

Just another silly fact that I thought you could file away in the vast warehouse of almost useless info I have furnished you with over time. This one came from Listverse, of course.

Coffee out on the patio this morning!

7 comments:

Ashley King said...

200 years, huh? I guess some rain is due, any day now.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ashley...
I believe you meant 2 million, not 200 years. Either way, it's been a long time.
Thanks for stopping by today!

Ashley King said...

2 Million years, even... it's been pointed out to me that I might have made a slight error in that last post. In my defense, I'm really stupid.

Mamahen said...

That's amazing!

texasann said...

Who knew? Wow!

Big hugs

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
It is rather, isn't it?
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Sis...
I certainly didn't until I read this article. Learn something new every day, I reckon.
Thanks for the visit this morning!

JO said...

I think we can say that's dry. Glad I don't live there no rain and all that wind. Living here is bad enough.

Patio sounds good before the day heats up