Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Death By Bird...!

Now this is something I truly do not understand. Why anyone would want a pet bird that is known to be dangerous, even to zookeepers, is beyond me. I'll stick with cats, thanks just the same.

Cassowary Attacks



Photo credit: sciencealert.com

The world’s most dangerous bird is the cassowary. At first glance, it seems a bit harmless, just a large flightless bird with a bright neck. But this Australia and New Guinea native is so dangerous that experienced zookeepers avoid being alone with it. Cassowaries have been recorded kicking tourists off cliffs or cornering them up trees.

In 2019, a man in Florida was killed by his pet cassowary. The severe injuries that cost the 75-year-old his life were probably due to the bird’s middle toe. Each foot has three digits with formidable nails, but the middle one is practically a dagger. A kick can cause horrific damage.

The choice of pet had bird experts shaking their heads. Indeed, Florida’s Fish and Wildlife Commission views cassowaries as “Class II Wildlife,” which involves danger to people and a lot of permits.

You would think that at his age, he would know better. But I reckon that older doesn't always mean wiser, right?

Coffee out on the patio this morning.

7 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I never knew that!

Mamahen said...

With my phobia, I can't see why one would want ANY bird for a pet, but especially not one known to be this dangerous...We are suppose to have summer like temps for a few days. It will be nice, but alot of rain and storms are expected with them...still the patio sounds great:))

linda m said...

I can't see why any person would want that as his pet - way too dangerous. Your patio sounds great; raining here.

Momlady said...

It wouldn't have attacked him if he hadn't fallen. Still, I wouldn't want one.

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
Surprised me as well.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Mamahen...
I forgot about you not liking birds.
Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Linda...
Just no telling what some folks will want, I reckon.
Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Momlady...
I am with you on that. I don't want one either.
Many thanks for coming by this morning.

JO said...

I guess I will never understand why people think they should own wild animals. Seems it never ends well for them.

Coffee on the patio sounds wonderful.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Just seeing how mean chickens can be to one of their own, makes me wonder why the term "chicken" came to mean someone who is afraid.