Monday, October 18, 2010

The Zombies Are Real...!


You finally reach a point in life where science fiction suddenly becomes reality!

I guess this really can't be classified as science fiction, but no matter what you call it...it is truly something out of the ordinary!

I'll withhold my judgement until I see what's on this woman's menu, ya know? After all, we all know the diet makes a true zombie, right?

You have to admit, this is one bizarre story! Made even more so by the fact that it's real!

Woman thought dead was not

By The Associated Press, The Baltimore Sun

4:55 p.m. EDT, October 16, 2010

A Severna Park woman police reported dead after finding her blue and not breathing in her home was actually alive.

Police were called to check on 89-year-old Ruth Shillinglaw Johnson on Oct. 1. According to a report, officers found her motionless on her bathroom floor, and one officer noted an odor "similar to a decomposition smell."

But officers did not check for a pulse. Instead, they called Johnson's adult son and told him his mother was dead, according to an account first appearing in The Capital newspaper of Annapolis. The man said Johnson planned to donate her body to science. A State Anatomy Board employee arriving to take the body three hours later heard Johnson take a deep breath and saw her move her arm.

Johnson was rushed to a hospital. She was discharged Wednesday. Neighbors said she has been moved to a hospice.

Now, I don't know about you...but if anyone ever finds me like this, I don't care what color I've turned I want them to check for a pulse! Seems to me that ought to be standard procedure! But what do I know? I'm no medic!

Let's get some fresh coffee, my friends, and sit outside on the patio. We can discuss how to avoid any future "zombies" caused by stupidity!

13 comments:

Catman said...

Maybe she wanted to be Smurfette for Halloween....

HermitJim said...

Hey Catman...
I hadn't thought about that! Glad she got away from the "professional" health care folks!

Seems like even dying isn't enough to get the attention of some of these jerks!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by today!

Ben in Texas said...

Goog Grief,, Think we see a lawsuit on the horizon?
But like Paul Harvey used to say, I want the "Rest of the Story"

JoJo said...

Good Morning My Special Friend,
What a scary thing for that poor old lady and the son. She must have some really bad circulation.
I would love to sit on the patio and have some coffee the weather is perfect for it.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Think that is why they use to tie a string to a body's finger, place it in the coffen, bury it, and run the string up to a bell. Do you want the night watch?

OK, a wake maybe was a better idea.

Mechanic in Illinois said...

Old bloggers never die, they just smell like it. Thanks for the great info.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ben...
At least a law suit from this is one I could support! Something like this would probably have caught ol' Paul's eye!

Sure do miss that show sometimes!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey JoJo...
I can only imagine what a roller coaster ride of emotions her son must have gone through!

Glad it turned out OK for her and the family!

I appreciate your visit, sweetie! I always do!


Hey Dizzy...
I think that was the origin of the saying "saved by the bell"!

From what I understand, premature burial used to be a common problem!

Wakes seem better and better all the time!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by today!


Hey Mechanic...
I really appreciate you coming by today!

Thank you!

Bob Mc said...

Scary! 'Tis the season, and stories like this are popping up all over the place.

Marjie said...

Bizarre, indeed! Maybe her BP is so low that they just didn't notice it?

HermitJim said...

Hey Bob...
Don't know which is worse...the fiction or the true version!

You're right about these types of stories making their way to the fron of the news this time of year!

Heu, you have a good day and thanks for coming by today!


Hey Marjie...
Bad thing is, the police didn't even check for a pulse but waited for the medical team to pick up what they thought was a body.

Plan of action was not good on this run!

Thanks for coming by today!

Tatersmama said...

I just can't imagine that no one bothered to check for a pulse before informing the son! I mean, isn't that standard procedure, no matter what? And what's with the odor "similar to a decomposition smell"?
Maybe the poor lady simply had gas and just passed out?
I don't know what to think about this one... But I doubt if I'll be moving to Severna Park anytime soon... if this is the treatment you receive!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Some story HermitJim and theb timing was right with this being the time of year for strange things happening. Funny that no one thought to check for a pulse before shipping first. By the way, the story about the potted ashes was another strange one yesterday.
Glad all turned out OK in both cases.

HermitJim said...

Hey Kate...
Don't think I'll be moving there either! Don't have a lot of confidence in the ability of these folks to know when you're dead or not!

Thanks, dear, for coming by today!


Hey Beatrice...
Some how I manage to find some weird stuff, huh? Just lucky that way!

I sure have been enjoying your trip through the upper states and small towns! Beautiful scenery, that's for sure!

Thanks, my friend, for coming over today!