Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It's About Damned Time...!


Sometimes a thing that is long overdue finally gets the attention it deserves!

I guess that the 4th of July brought this to mind. It seems a shame to me that this wasn't done a long time ago! If it was, I certainly hadn't heard about it!

So many things in our history never get talked about, some good and some bad. This is a touch of the good, I think!

Descendants honor Declaration's unsung heroes

By KATHY MCCORMACK
ASSOCIATED PRESS
July 3, 2011, 7:12PM


CONCORD, N.H. — Some signers of the Declaration of Independence are world-famous. Some need a good agent.

A group made up of their descendants is working to keep all 56 names alive, placing small bronze plaques at gravesites or homes to recognize their place in American history.

The Descendants of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence have been around for 104 years. The nonprofit group has more than 1,000 members who are direct descendants of the signers.

Plans are to honor 12 of the Founding Fathers with the plaques this year, including William Whipple of Portsmouth, N.H. He was a merchant and Revolutionary War general.

Whipple had no direct descendants and is buried in a city-owned cemetery. The City Council recently approved the request.

You know, it seems to me that way too often the very people that laid it all on the line for us and our country are forgotten too quickly. In this case it's made even more important because these men were part of what made this country what it is! It seems like a small bronze plaque is the very least we can do, don't you think?

C'mon, my friends, let's get some fresh coffee and sit on the patio before it gets too hot! Once again we missed out on the rain!

12 comments:

sel said...

You know Mr Jim for someone who is downright unhappy about our nation you are a rare person in that you still seem to be upbeat about life. It shows in your blogging and I thank you for that.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sel...
I think you have me all wrong! I'm not unhappy with our nation as such, but rather I'm unhappy with the direction that some of our leaders are taking us!

I'm very pleased that you came by today, and I hope you will continue to do so! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

HermitJim's blog is one of my 1st stops when I come into work - always some very interesting topics and takes on what is around is everyday but doesn't gain our attention.

Sorry you missed out on the rain - we're playing catch up down here in the RGV, I think the past two weeks has made up what we normally get in the past 7 months! But the durn skeeters . . . its always something, like Rosanna Dana used to say . . . :^)

Dizzy-Dick said...

I often wondered why only a few signers of the declaration were widely remembered. Guess they were the ones that kept talking and stayed in the politics of the country. The ones we never hear about played just as big a role.

linda m said...

My "cudo's" to those people who are placing plaques on our Founder's graves. Sometimes we do forget that there were more poeple who signed the Declaration than those that are mentioned. There should be more people who remember what this great Nation is all about and the Freedoms upon which it was founded.

HermitJim said...

Hey Anon 5:25...
Always glad to hear my friends down in the valley are getting some good weather...but I'm sorry about the 'skeeters! I know they can be monsters!

Really glad you could find the time to come by today! Take care!


Hey DD...
Guess it's a lot like sports. The home run hitters and touchdown makers are always the heroes, while the rest of the team is mostly ignored!

I'm sure those guys didn't do it for the glory anyway! Still, it's good that someone is making an effort to remember them!

Thanks, buddy, for coming over today!


Hey Linda...
I will have to say that I am as guilty as anyone about not thinking of the other signers!

Once again I took for granted the efforts of those who put it all on the line and that paid the ultimate price!

Thanks, Linda, for coming over today!

JoJo said...

Thanks for the story. And Thanks to the people who are bringing out this information for us to remember all the great leaders of our new country.

Sorry you missed out on the rain. We are getting lots of rain in the past few days. The monsoons are here.

MamaHen said...

this is great! Long overdue!

Bob from Athens said...

Just another prime example of the squeakey wheel or whoever hollars the loudest gets the grease / money.

Catman said...

I'd be happier if they actually taught the history of the American War Of Independence in our schools beyond just making kids memorize names, dates, and places in order to fill out the correct boxes on a multiple guess test.

They should use this as a text book:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Renegade-History-of-the-United-States/Thaddeus-Russell/9781416571063

It's time to restore critical thinking.

Ken said...

...alas,more good news(not the least of which,i get my 'coffee fix')what should be required learning,is past off like Catman says,a couple dates to remember for a test...coupled with the fact sumthin'like 30% of the kids nowadays don't even now who We declared Our Independence from...sad...we're so sunk...

Stephanie in AR said...

First we flooded then we had no rain! Thankfully we have had two pretty good rains in the past few days, my late/fall garden is very grateful. As for the coffee, my sister introduced me to iced coffee and I just tried a diy recipe that's so good! Perfect for catching up with the Hermit.