Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sometimes Fiction Follows Truth...!


Sometimes in life, a person's looks or way of living makes them seem more like a figure in a movie than a person!

In some cases, this can be a good thing. Danny Trejo is a perfect example of this. I know that you have seen him in a movie or two! Probably several!

After reading this article from Cracked.com, you'll know why he portrays all his characters so realistically!



Danny Trejo: From Real Bad Guy to Movie Bad Guy

Danny Trejo is everyone's favorite terrifying Hispanic man.

Early on, Danny made a career out of robbing convenience stores, and eventually got addicted to drugs. The cops showed up at his house so much that his mom eventually said she stopped being surprised when they came. Then again she could have just taken one look at her son and guessed at his future.

Danny eventually earned himself 15 years in prison, including a stint in San Quentin. Determined to learn a valuable skill in jail, but presumably not one for poetry, he practiced boxing. He also embarked on a 12-step program that broke him of his addiction to drugs and alcohol.

After his release, Trejo kept tabs on his former 12-step partners to help them stay on the straight and narrow. And, in one of those twists that makes a person believe in karma, one of those friends happened to be a production assistant for a movie called Runaway Train. Trejo was approached by a member of the movie staff and asked if he could look like a convict, which, of course, he could. In fact we're pretty sure that these days casting just asks if you can "Look like a Trejo."

While working as an extra, he was recognized by another person working on the film who was also a former San Quentin guest, and wound up getting hired to teach Eric Roberts to box for $350 a day.

And that was that. Trejo has been in a few movies since then, and by a few we mean 124. He's usually playing the scary Mexican criminal, officially making him the greatest method actor in the history of the world.

I know you recognize him now! I like the guy! I feel a small kinship with the man, although I couldn't tell you why.

I have a feeling that many of his characters he plays show more of himself than we will ever know!

How about some fresh coffee on the patio? I could sure use some this morning!

8 comments:

Old Jules said...

I don't recognize the guy, but I recognize the type he used to be. Uplifting story. Nice to see a human being following a lousy road find a different one without so many chuckholes and maybe some asphalt.

Lucky man to manage all that in a single lifetime.

Momlady said...

I do recognize him even though I don't watch too many movies. I think he's been in a few TV shows, too. Glad to hear someone turned lemons into lemonade. We need more GOOD news.

chinasyndrome said...

Yep I have seen him in a lot of action flicks.He is a car guy too!Cool hot rods.

China
III

Caddie said...

No,I don't know the man. Movies or television are not a part of my life, so it isn't surprising. I sure keep up with your posts though as they are always a good source of information. Love them!

Ben in Texas said...

IMHO, he turned into a pretty good actor. Heck of a lot better choice of life than what he was doing for sure

JoJo said...

Great Post, I don't know of him since I don't watch a lot of movies. But it is nice to know he changed his life around. I am very happy for him. Wish a lot more would follow in his foot steps.
I know what you mean about really needing the coffee this morning. I will join in for a few.

Mechanic in Illinois said...

I've seen the man in many movies and I like him. Kool guy. Thanks for the info and have a great Sunday.

vlad said...

Danny Trejo

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Danny_Trejo#Career