Saturday, October 12, 2013

Saturday Creepy Crawlers...!

I figured that with Halloween just around the corner, it was time to start creeping things out a bit!

The good thing is, we don't have to make any monsters up from our imagination as Mother Nature has furnished us with plenty! Here is just one of the creepiest, in my opinion.

Enormous Centipedes



Centipedes can evoke shivers among the bravest of naturalists. With their multitude of legs and wicked fangs, centipedes are ultimate killing machines. When their attention is directed toward humans, the results can be extremely painful. The Jurassic throwback Scolopendra gigantean from Peru clocks in at over 28 centimeters (12 in). This enormous crawling beast uses its powerful fangs to devour both insects and small vertebrates like lizards. While the animal controls pests effectively, a human can be seriously wounded by this potentially aggressive centipede. Few invertebrates on land can boast the combined size, aggression, and bite power of this fast-moving species.

I will admit to having a slight fear of centipedes, regardless of their size! One this size could make me really hurt myself trying to get out of the way!

Why don't we have coffee in the kitchen today? I'll throw together a peach cobbler to share!

13 comments:

Mamahen said...

That is surely one creepy critter....Hope I never see anything like that!! Peach cobbler, mmmmm kitchen it is, and thank you for the invite :))

Chickenmom said...

I'd shoot it! Peach cobbler sound wonderful- mmmmm!

Sixbears said...

I will name it Roger and tie it in the yard to keep trespassers away. Should work just fine.

At my daughter's waiting for the house to wake up and the coffee to brew.

linda m said...

Ewwwww! that is really creepy - haha. I love Sixbears response. Peach cobbler sounds delicious. Supposed to rain around here for the next couple of days.

Momlady said...

Wonder what the cat would say.

Anonymous said...

I even think those tiny ones we have here are creepy, I'm so glad this one lives so far away :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

butterbean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JO said...

We have something similar here. Nasty looking and yes fast. Haven't seen to many but that's fine with me.

Peach Cobbler sounds just about right for this chilly morning. Pass the pot please.

butterbean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
butterbean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
butterbean said...

Howdy HJ,
SOMEHOW I'M AGONNA DO THIS, TODAY!!!

MY YAHOO IS CRAZY!!!

THAT IS ONE BIG BUG!!!
We were at Lake TEXOMA one time, my ex was in sandals and one of the NOTORIOUS 'HALLOWEEN'(orange&black) CENTIPEDES, ABOUT 10" LONG WRAPPED AROUND HER FOOT!!! SHE BROKE EARDRUMS FOR A HALF A MILE!!! NO OTHER DAMAGE!!! The 'black-folks' call them 'Santa fees'(another story)
Hope y'all have a HAPPY DAY!!!!

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I don't want one around my house, that's for sure!

Thanks for coming by today!



Hey Phyllis...
It would probably take a bullet to kill it! Maybe a stake through the heart!

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Sixbears...
Roger sounds like a fitting name! Should work good to turn away folks!

Enjoy the quiet time and thanks for coming over this morning!



Hey Linda...
I don't know what our weather is supposed to do. The weather guys can't make up their minds, ya know?

Thanks for the visit this morning!



Hey Momlady...
If the bug didn't eat him, he would probably be creeped out!

Thanks for visiting the patio today!



Hey Christer...
You and me both, my friend!

Many thanks for dropping in today!



Hey Jo...
Probably a good thing to avoid! Some of them can be quite painful, even poisonous when they bite!

Thanks for coming over today, Jo!



Hey Butterbean...
Bet that woke folks up for a while. I can just picture it in my mind!

Glad you could come by this morning!

Anonymous said...

I had about a 5 incher crawl across my foot one night camping and I damn near jumped on the roof of the RV! creepy for sure!