Monday, December 22, 2014

A Jane Doe For Monday Mystery...!

Well, the trip to the V.A. was a good one. At least the results were good compared to what they could have been. Lungs were fine, blood work came back normal, and EKG showed no problems. Blood pressure was good also.

The doctor figured that I had a low level infection of some kind, prescribed some antibiotics and that was that. Why was I coughing up a little blood? I never seem to get a good answer for that one. However, all seems clear right now.

Things didn't turn out as well for our Jane Doe on today's mystery, however. Let's take a look at her case, OK?

The Sycamore Jane Doe

On August 14, 1995, a hiker climbed to the top of a high ridge in the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness area in Arizona. He looked down to see a set of skeletal remains on a knife-edged ridge above the canyon floor. The victim had no identification, but it was eventually determined that she was a white female between the ages of 25 and 40. She had been deceased for between six months and a year, but her cause of death was unknown. A one-piece Catalina-brand swimsuit was found hanging from a nearby tree. Skeletal remains of an infant were found with the victim. This meant that Jane Doe had made it to full-term pregnancy before she died, so the big question was: How could a nine-month-pregnant woman make it to such a rugged area in the first place?

The trail leading into Sycamore Canyon is 16 kilometers (10 mi) away from the town of Clarkdale. Jane Doe was discovered 4 kilometers (2.5 mi) from the beginning of the trail, and no abandoned vehicles were found in the area. While it wouldn’t have been impossible for a pregnant woman to hike the trail, it seemed very unlikely that she could have handled climbing to the top of the remote ridge where she was found. On the other hand, it would have been equally difficult for someone to move the body of a pregnant woman to that location. One possible theory is that she was accompanied to that location by someone else who subsequently abandoned her. Even after many pleas to the public for information, the Sycamore Jane Doe has never been identified.

Ya know,sometimes life is just a big mystery...seemingly without an answer. I personally think we are just supposed to deal with it as best we can and then move on. I'm glad that baby Sis was able to drive me over to V.A., but she is good about doing things to help others. Maybe she could help solve some of these mysteries, ya reckon?

Thanks for all the kind concerns and prayers about the visit to V.A.! I really appreciate it!

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Supposed to go into the 70s again today!

10 comments:

Mamahen said...

I totally missed the post about your trip to the VA.....I'm certainly glad it was no worse than that...still I don't like unanswered questions when it comes to matters of health. Praying the Drs were correct in their diagnosis. Bless your Sis for being there forgotten you. As for the Jane Doe....its a sad mystery to be sure...Patio is fine! I'll bring a peanut butter pie :))

Mamahen said...

Darn auto correct ...that was suppose to say being there for you...

Chickenmom said...

Glad your sis was there for you. Make sure you go back for a followup visit!!
Strange case - here's more on it:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=7034&st=0&
Bet she went there with her boyfriend, they argued, left her there.
Peanut butter pie! Yummy!

texasann said...

I'll have some of that pie, Mamahen, thank you very much. And thanks to you, Bubba, for the kind words. Where else would I be when my big brother needs me? It was a night well spent,and knowing all is well makes for a very "Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night".
Big Hugs ~

linda m said...

So happy to hear you checked out okay and that you baby Sis was there to help you out. Always nice when family can lend a hand. Patio sounds fine to me as it is once again cold and rainy here.

MamaHen said...

Glad to hear that everything seems to be fine with you Jim! I came over here first thing this morning to see if you had posted. Hugs to you and Sis!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad You're ok! ots of blood vessels around the lungs, perhaps a small one burst? Can happen anywhere but since it's the lungs I guess the blood had to go somewhere and if You were coughing that helped to remove it.

Very mysterious with this Jane Doe! There's no easy way to either get a body up there and a nine month pregnant woman must have been stronger than an ox to make it. Helicopter perhaps? But then why leave her there?

Have a great day!
Christer.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I kinda dodged the bullet on this one, I think.

Peanut butter pie...yeah!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Phyllis...
I think we all agree that peanut butter pie sounds good!

Sad to think she was deserted there.

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Sis...
Only telling the truth, Sis...only the truth!

Any day above ground is a good one, that's for sure!

Thanks for stopping by this morning!



Hey Linda M...
A little family help is always appreciated, that's for sure!

I appreciate you coming over today!



Hey Anne...
Nice of you to check up on me. I nee someone to keep an eye on me, for sure!

Thanks, my friend for dropping by today!



Hey Christer...
As long as I didn't have to stay in the hospital, I'm thankful.

Glad you liked the mystery today and that you could come over this morning!

deb harvey said...

i go with the helicopter or small plane theory.
maybe a mistress who became too demanding or threatened to tell the wife?
deb h.

glad all checked out okay.

Anonymous said...

I know this canyon intimately from a life time of exploration and just discovered this case two days ago. I know the location of an abandoned tent that I will be going to investigate the next few days in the area. I never disturbed the tent before because it gave me a bad vibe and is in such a isolated location. The thing about this canyon is that, the girl could have accessed it from Sedona, Flagstaff, Williams, Or Clarkdale. Also it should be noted that in the area where she was found the water of the canyon goes underground and is dry from there up. Many enter the canyon from the top side not realizing this. I don't know if this forum is active but if it is I will keep you updated on any discoveries I come across.