Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Death Of Young Willie Lincoln...!

The death of a child, especially a family member, is a hard thing for any parent to deal with. Sadly when said death is part of the family of the President, the strain would drive many to the point of madness.

Young Lincoln's death came at a time in the history of our nation when the strength and firm resolve of the President was needed more than ever.

Willie Lincoln



Photo credit: Library of Congress

On the cold winter day of February 20, 1862, 11-year-old Willie Lincoln took his last breath, casting a pall over the White House that would linger for the remainder of his father’s presidency. The child, who is believed to have contracted typhoid fever from the mansion’s contaminated water supply, was clothed in usual everyday attire and placed in a plain metallic coffin in the East Room of the White House.

The weeks prior to his death were an agonizing stretch for the president and first lady, who, on the inside, died along with their son, plunging the couple into insurmountable sorrow. According to Elizabeth Keckley, a former slave who had become Mrs. Lincoln’s seamstress and confidante, President Lincoln’s grief “unnerved him, and made him a weak, passive child. I did not dream that his rugged nature could be so moved.” Mrs. Lincoln was inconsolable to the point that the president led her to a window and pointed toward St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, an insane asylum, stating, “Mother, do you see that large white building on the hill yonder? Try and control your grief, or it will drive you mad, and we may have to send you there.”

Following a long procession through unpaved streets, Willie’s remains were placed in a marble vault in Oak Hill Cemetery as a temporary resting place until the Lincoln family returned to Illinois. Even as he tried to hold the country together, the president consistently visited his son’s tomb until his assassination on April 15, 1865. In the end, the caskets of father and son were placed beside one another aboard the presidential funeral train for their journey home.

The strain of this time must have been almost unbearable, to say the least. I can't imagine what a loss of that kind would do to me. Thsi information came from the folks at Listverse.

Coffee out on the patio again. It's windy, but warm.

10 comments:

Rob said...

The loss of a child is unbelievable, to have along with the stress of the civil war....

HermitJim said...

Hey Rob...
I think you are so right, my friend. Lots of respect for the man, for sure.
Thanks for stopping by today!

Mamahen said...

I watch my parents grieve the loss if their, at the time only, son to crib death. He was 5 months old. The first time I saw my daddy cry. I was 12 at the time, and was crushed to find my dad sitting in a darkened room crying his heart out.

linda m said...

I don't think anyone ever gets over the loss of their child. I remember my grandmother (who lost her 3 oldest children) always talking about them. This was over 40 years after their death. Something I hope to never experience.

Momlady said...

From what I understand from family, Mrs, Lincoln never recovered her sanity. I don't know what I would do if I lost either of my children.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Nothing can heal that kind of heartache. Only time makes a difference, I think.
Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Linda...
Sounds like she had some good memories at least.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Momlady...
I think you are correct. She remained troubled for the rest of her life.
Thanks for the visit today!





JO said...

I have friends who have lost children, it breaks your heart watching them die a little themselves and no you never get over the loss. Tragic

It's 40 here and damp more rains came last night so far the wind has stopped but it will be cold for the next few days 50's.

Practical Parsimony said...

I can imagine no worse thing than losing a child of any age. My neighbor died at 94 and still talked about her child who died almost 60 years before. She looked so sad and shed a tear each time.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
Yeah, it does break your heart.
Thanks for dropping by, dear!


Hey Parsimony...
I can only imagine what it must be like. Sad.
Thanks for stopping by today!

Dizzy-Dick said...

I lost my oldest son quite a few years ago in a highway accident when his son, my grandson, was young. Now my grandson has a son of his own. Sometimes, when something really bad happens you just don't want to go on but if you do, sooner or later, something good will come to you.