Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Black Jack Ketchum On Western Wednesday...!

In most cases, gunfighters were considered as outlaws and punished accordingly. However, there were a few cases where the public demanded more harsh punishment and, in this case, were awarded just that.

Black Jack Ketchum



Tom “Black Jack” Ketchum, shown here after he was captured and his right arm amputated, and shortly before he was hanged in 1901 for attempted train robbery, had emptied his rifle into the bodies of two posse members chasing him and his brother for robbing a store in Liberty, New Mexico, in 1896, before continuing on his life of crime as a train robber. The citizens of New Mexico Territory were so mad at the daring of train robbers that they made Ketchum pay with his life, marking him as the only person who suffered capital punishment for “felonious assault upon a railway train,” a law later deemed unconstitutional.

Looks like the change in the law didn't come in time for ol' Black Jack. Too bad !

Coffee inside again today. Rain is coming and going again today!

8 comments:

linda m said...

As they say, "Crime doesn't pay".

Rob said...

It sounds like someone in power really didn't like him...

JO said...

I don't think I'm quite awake enough yet, this story is hard to follow. But I guess his punishment was really right since he did kill 2 men. Not bad for a one armed man.

I'm ready for about a gallon of coffee this morning. I have had this nasty cough for almost 2 weeks now so sleeping is tough. I guess I better contribute to the coffee this morning I'll bring a can of McCafe french roast good stuff

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
More like payback instead of pay.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Rob...
It sure looks that way doesn't it?
Thanks for coming over this morning!

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I'm sorry that you are feeling poorly. dear. Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks for dropping by this morning!

Mamahen said...

I don't know. If he killed to guys, then they killed him, it sounds like he had it coming to him to me...maybe I'm just getting colder in my old age:))

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I reckon he had it coming, for sure. If you want to dance, you gotta pay the piper.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!

New Mexico Day Tripper said...

Was just at the hanging site and his grave in Clayton. His head came off when they hanged him because someone had forgotten to remove the 200 lb weight they tested the rope with the day before. The rope was like wire after hanging like that all night.