Tuesday, September 25, 2018

World's Biggest Insect...!

While most of us don't care for insects in general, there are some insects that are scarier than others. That's where this guy comes in.

Largest insect
Little Barrier Island giant weta



The giant weta native to the Little Barrier Island of New Zealand (Deinacrida heteracantha) proudly bears the name of the heaviest and largest adult insect in the world, the record weight for one being of 71 grammes or 2.5 oz and more than 8.5 centimeters or 3.4 inches in length. A relative of the grasshopper and of the common house cricket, the giant weta is nowadays a vulnerable species.

Thank goodness I don't have any of these guys in my yard...or worse, in my house! What a nightmare that would be!

Coffee on the patio this morning.

9 comments:

Mamahen said...

Wow...that's a big bug!

linda m said...

Most insects don't bother me, but that is one heck of an insect. Wow!

Momlady said...

Awww it's cute! Wonder what my cats would think.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Yah, it is that, for sure!
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Linda...
Kinda big, isn't it? Wonder how much it eats every day.
Thanks for coming over today!

Rob said...

I wonder how it is deep fried?

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

No, thank you. Possums in the toilet were enough, right?

Big hugs ~

JO said...

Well I guess I'm just happy they don't live around here. They have some crazy critters over there.

Coffee on the patio sounds nice beautiful morning.

Gorges Smythe said...

Think of the fish you could catch with that thing!

HermitJim said...

Hey Rob...
I really don't want to find out. You can try it out and let us know, though.
Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Sis...
Yeah, that was enough for me. Don't need any more surprises like that.
Many thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Jo...
I think it goes beyond crazy, dear!
Thanks for dropping by this morning!


Hey Gorges...
Now that would be a good amount of exercise to bring in the fish willing to take the bait. I can only imagine the size of that fish!
Thanks for coming over today!