Friday, September 28, 2018

To Shower Or Not To Shower...!

We have all seen examples of some crazy studies done around the world, I'm sure. This might be one that I can almost see the logic of what they were thinking, but I don't know what to think about the whole thing.

Showering Is Bad



Research by the Genetic Science Center of the University of Utah found that showering could be bad for us. Although it is good to shower frequently, too much showering can kill certain important bacteria and viruses that live on or in our bodies, which leaves us less resistant to diseases. It also increases our risk of heart problems and causes the digestive system to work improperly.

A study on the indigenous people of Yanomami village in the Amazon revealed that they have the most diverse bacteria on their skin as compared to any other human population. They even had bacteria that were resistant to antibiotics, although they had never used antibiotics.

While the researchers believe that excessive showering by Westerners affects the diversity of the human microbiome, they never told us exactly how much we should shower.

So now I have to wonder just how much I am supposed to shower. Could be that my routine is all wrong, as I take a shower at least once a month, whether I need it or not! (Kidding...)

Coffee out on the patio this morning!

8 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Now that I'm not working, or even breaking a sweat usually, I shower once a week with a couple sponge baths in between. I no longer have the pins and needles feeling on my back nor such a dry scalp.

Mamahen said...

I do love a nice shower, but like Gorges, I no longer work, or for that matter go out in public for any reason for long periods prime these days, I skip days here and there. I never thought of too many showers being unhealthy though.

linda m said...

I still shower every day. Like to start out my day clean and fresh. Never really thought about if I was showering too often. Guess I just don't want to smell like an old person when I'm out in public.

Rob said...

I've showered everyday for most of my life and it hasn't killed me yet... That sounds like a dumb thing to say but as experiments go ...

Momlady said...

Just can't see how taking showers would upset the innards.

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
I reckon we all have our own routine that works for us.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Mamahen...
I never figured showering to be unhealthy, but what do I know.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Linda...
I think that the idea of being bad for us is a stretch, but if nothing else we all seem to be a bit more social when we are fresh.
Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Rob...
Personally I don't see the harm in a daily shower...never did. Certainly I feel better after a good shower.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Momlady...
I kinda wondered about that myself. Seems like that would be difficult for sure.
Thanks for coming by this morning!

JO said...

I had to re read the second paragraph because it doesn't make any sense to me. If these people are covered in bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics then what happens when there is a break out of some sickness and they can't be helped. I'll keep taking my showers on a regular bases thank you.

I'm did some cooking prep already this morning so I am ready for the patio and some coffee

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I don't think we need to put a lot of stock in all these studies anyway. I'd go crazy trying to keep up with what all is good for me, ya know?
Thanks, dear, for dropping by this morning!