Friday, November 2, 2018

A Pee Powered Robot...?

That's correct, you read it right. In the future, many robots could be powered by an artificial heart pumping urine as fuel. Pretty damn bizzare, if you ask me (which no one did, btw)!

Robot Blood



Who knew our future overlords will be powered by our very own bladders? The guys at the Bristol Robotics Laboratory have created an artificial heart that can power the robots of the future.

As of 2010, there are an estimated 8.6 million robots in the world, employed in different industries and serving different functions. Depending on their purpose, robots are traditionally charged with solar energy, battery power, or electricity. Peter Walters and his colleagues from the University of Bristol have taken a slightly more unconventional route, creating a robot that can charge itself with a urinal.

The scientists built an artificial heart that pumps a regulated supply of human urine into microbial power stations, which then break down urine and convert it into electricity. This artificial heart was able to run a robot called “EcoBot” using nothing but human urine. These robots have been able to function before on other biodegradable materials, but this is the first time that an EcoBot was sustained with power using an artificial heart that pumps urine. The researchers are inspired to make improvements on this pee-pumping heart and hope to see these urine-powered EcoBots being used in the future, especially in green projects such as monitoring pollution.

I don't know why, but I find this concept both frightening and cool at the same time! I think it's the idea of a robot with a beating heart that does it, ya know? BTW, I got this article from the folks over at Listverse, where you can find many other ways to use urine, if you are interested.

Coffee out on the patio, but be sure and wear a jacket...OK?

6 comments:

Mamahen said...

Well, that certainly is something I never would have considered. I had a parametic tell me once, knew a guy with an experimental artificial heart, that didn't beat. I pushed blood through his body in a steady flow. I wonder if the same type might be used for this? I never know what I'll learn here:)) Wet and windy here again today. I'll see you on the patio:))

Momlady said...

Be careful the machines don't take over.

linda m said...

This story reminds me of the movie Terminator where machines took over the world. I can see this happening in our future and it scares me. Have a great weekend.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I reckon that anythings possible now days. Things get a little stranger every day.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Momlady...
At some point that may be a real concern.
Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Linda...
Let's hope that isn't in our future anytime soon.
Many thinks for the visit this morning!

JO said...

Fascinating. So will there be urine banks like the blood bank?

Cold this morning here at 45 turned on the electric heater in this room. Better call my guy to come turn on the furnace. See you all on the patio

Dizzy-Dick said...

Just think, if your robot quits working, just piss on it (grin).