Friday, November 30, 2018

Museum Full Of Spiders...?

Normally I enjoy roaming around the museum,seeing all the interesting bits of history and learning about other parts of the world. This is one museum that I think I will gladly pass on visiting, even if I had occasion to visit.

The Finnish Museum Infested With Gigantic Spiders



Photo credit: Skorpion87/Wikimedia

A grand old building in the heart of Helsinki, Finland’s Natural History Museum is one of the capital’s premier tourist attractions. It’s also a place where no arachnophobe should ever set foot. The building is home to a gigantic colony of extremely venomous, near-immortal super-spiders.

Known as the Chilean recluse spider, the creatures are normally only found in South America. Unfortunately for Finland, some eggs made their way into a shipment of wood chips the museum ordered in the 1960s. They hatched, and the spiders escaped into the museum. By 1970, the place was overrun with them. In 2016, they’re not only still there—there are more of them than ever.

The trouble is that the Chilean recluse spider is almost indestructible. Females have been known to survive without food or water for 755 days. They can deal with extreme temperature changes and can lay up to 2,250 eggs in a lifetime. As an added bit of freaky detail, they can grow to up to 10 centimeters (4 in), and their bite will leave you howling in agony (if it doesn’t kill you outright).

On the plus side, the recluse spider gets its name by hiding away from humans. In the 50-plus years the museum has been infested, only one bite has ever been recorded. This is extremely good news, as the museum is built above a series of tunnels linking many buildings in Helsinki. The BBC has speculated that it’s only a matter of time before the colony expands outward into other parts of the city center . . . if it hasn’t done so already.

Never mind...just cancel any trips I had pending in Finland. I'll just avoid it all together, I think.

Coffee on the patio this morning. Temps going up to the mid 70s, or so they say

6 comments:

Mamahen said...

Oh my! I pray nine of these make their way into our country...I'm usually not to bothered by spiders unless they startle me, but this one I'd rather not deal with....70s sounds like heaven right now. We MAY hit the 40s today..I'll meet you all on the patio:))

linda m said...

Think I will avoid Helsinki. I love your temperatures, so I am on my way down to sit on your patio. We are having a heat wave this AM, it is 24 degrees. Have a great weekend.

JO said...

well count me out for that trip also. I'm not afraid of spiders but I don't like the sneaky kind, that come out at night looking for a bit of fun.

I think you may have gotten our weather,we are only going to be in low 60s and then dropping into the 50's for the next few days with rai and wind. So I will see you all on the patio.

Momlady said...

Hmmm, even if it had been on my travel list it wouldn't be now.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Definitely not something I want to deal with.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
Yeah, I think that my temps are better than yours right now, so welcome!
Thanks for coming over!


Hey Jo...
Supposed to be Spring like weather until about Tuesday, then cold again.
Thanks, dear, for dropping in today!


Hey Momlady...
Believe me, I certainly understand.
Thanks for the visit this morning!

Dizzy-Dick said...

When I was a kid, I used to catch and keep spiders as pets. My Mom did not like that at all.