Friday, November 23, 2018

Bad Breath As A Weapon...!

Now here is an interesting story from my research on the web that you might find interesting. It involves the weaponizing bad breath as a defense mechanism.



Around the world, cigarettes and tobacco-related products are covered in dire health warnings. Some are pretty straightforward like, “Cigarettes can cause cancer.” Others are a little gorier, displaying horrifying pictures of tracheotomies and rotting teeth. But if the hornworm caterpillar could read, he’d just shake his head and laugh. These little larvae can handle more nicotine than Don Draper and the Cigarette Smoking Man combined. In fact, the hornworm caterpillar has a nicotine tolerance that’s 750 times greater than any measly human’s, and that comes in handy when he’s attacked by eight-legged predators.

Wolf spiders love munching on juicy little caterpillars, but the hornworm is more of a challenge than most insects thanks to its unique diet and genetic makeup. Scientists from the Max Planck Institute of Chemical Ecology in Germany discovered these little guys occasionally chow down on tobacco plants. It’s not that they’re particularly fond of the taste, and in fact, detoxifying all that nicotine takes a really long time and really slows the caterpillar down. But as researchers found out, the hornworm has an amazing way of turning the poison into a toxic weapon, a kind of “defense halitosis.”

Hornworms use a sci-fi sounding gene called “CYP6B46” to mix the nicotine with the caterpillar’s hemolymph (essentially insect blood). When the wolf spider shows up looking for a snack, the caterpillar excretes its hemolymph through little holes known as spiracles. The spider gets a whiff of all that nicotine and decides the hornworm is way too toxic to eat. The eight-eyed arachnid takes off, and the hornworm lives to see another day. Talk about smoker’s breath.

Since I'm a smoker I guess I won't have to be worried about being bitten by the Wolf spider any time soon. Hey, just protecting myself, ya know?

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Cool but dry...at least so far.

6 comments:

Momlady said...

I don't have that defense since I quit smoking 12 years ago. A bit chilly at 30 degrees here this morning. K and I will be at Mistletoe Market vending our wares today and tomorrow.

Mamahen said...

I've met some people who might use that defense even tho they don't smoke:)) Nature sure holds some strange creations! 27° here this morning...made laying in bed a few minutes longer seem extra nice:))

linda m said...

Since I have never smoked I guess I had better watch out for the Wolf Spider. Frost all over the place here this morning. Have a great weekend.

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
Good on ya for quitting. I should especially now that I'm getting older, but I just enjoy it too much. At 75 I gotta take my fun where and when I can.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Mamahen...
She can be full of surprises, that's for sure.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Linda...
I'm sure there are more pleasant defenses, but I can't think of any right now...sorry.
Thanks for the visit today!

JO said...

Well I used to smoke and I can relate to that bit of nasty breath. Been 10 yrs for me but damage already to done to lungs. I'll make sure I don't mess with those little greenies.

Already put up a pot of Turkey soup this morning so it's coffee time!

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
Not many of us smokers left any more, it seems.
Thanks for dropping by this morning, sweetie!