Monday, January 21, 2019

A Golden Crown Mystery...!

Most of us have had to go through a relative's belongings after they pass on, I'm sure. Here is a case of an item left behind that surprised the one that inherited it.

Golden Crown Of The Love Goddess


Photo credit: Dukes/BNPS via Ancient Origins

An elderly British man  made a shocking discovery under his bed. In a cardboard box inherited from his grandfather, he found a 2,300-year-old Greek crown made of pure gold. Experts determined it to be an authentic myrtle wreath crown and dated it to 300 BC. The crown is 20 centimeters (8 in) across and weighs roughly 100 grams (3.5 oz). Stylistic elements suggest a master goldsmith in Northern Greece forged the piece. Dirt embedded deeply in the crown suggests it was once buried.

Ancient Greeks used wreath crowns for religious festivals and athletic competitions. Myrtle wreaths were specifically associated with Aphrodite. Myrtle was sacred to the goddess, and crowns composed of it were tangible reminders of love’s power. No one knows where the discoverer’s grandfather picked up the crown. He traveled extensively in the 1940s and 1950s and was particularly interested in Alexander the Great’s Macedonian homeland.

I would imagine that the man that inherited it thanked his grandfather's memory for the gift. This article came from Listverse, of course.

Coffee in the kitchen, where I have fresh cookies ready.

8 comments:

Mamahen said...

Wow, I'm sure he did thank his late grandfather! Cozy kitchen n fresh cookies too. I'm on my way:))

Momlady said...

Wonder what he did with it.

linda m said...

Wow!! Wish I could find something like that under my bed!

Rob said...

What a find!
I'm on Key West today and it's not a morning for coffee outside... but did you say fresh cookies?

JO said...

Why was it under his bed unless he also received the house too. Really nice find.

A little chilly here so off to join you all in the kitchen and of course have a cookie with everyone.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Quite the item to find as an inheritance, ya know?
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Gorges...
Exactly!
Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Momlady...
My guess is that he sold it, but the article didn't say.
Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Linda...
I hear ya! Only thing under my bed is dust bunnies.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Rob...
I did indeed say fresh cookies, sir!
Thanks for stopping by today!

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
Now, that I couldn't tell ya. Sounds bout right to me, though.
Thanks, dear, for dropping by this morning!

Sixbears said...

So here I am, without a single gold crown to my name. :) Oh well.