Friday, January 18, 2019

Another Foodie Fact...!

What would Freaky Friday be without one more Listverse article spilling secrets on some food items...this time the product is bottled water!

Bottled Water Is Just Tap Water



Photo credit: clark.com

Half of the bottled water sold in the United States is regular tap water. It’s just filtered. Fluoride is removed during filtration, leaving consumers of bottled water at risk of tooth decay. The removal of fluoride from bottled water is one of the reasons that some say tap water is better than bottled water.

Tap water is more regulated than bottled water. For instance, the US Environmental Protection Agency requires that fluoride be added to tap water. However, no agency demands that it be added to bottled water.

Bottled water manufacturers are also fond of promoting their products with meaningless words like “mountain water” and ‘”glacier water.”

I do admit to having some bottled water set aside for those times when we have no city water, or when a "boil water" alert is issued. Mine is re-bottled tap water, though. Just covering my bases.

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Temps will be in the 70s just before the freeze hit tomorrow.

10 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I've read that the fluoride thing is a hoax, begun as a way to get rid of the poison (yes, poison) during WW II. Then, they learned that it shrinks the pinial gland which helps us with independent thought and the government's been gung-ho for ever since.

Mamahen said...

I too have read this about bottled water, but then I ask have read the pros and cons on fluoride, so who knows. The patio sounds nice. I'm on my way:))

Rob said...

That piece was written by the "Fluoride In All American Drinking Water Association" I'll bet.

FluorideNews said...

There is no evidence that drinking fluoride-free bottled water is linked to more tooth decay. Further modern science shows that ingested fluoride, neither a nutrient nor essential for healthy teeth, is ineffective and harmful to health
4800 professionals urge abandoning artificial fluoridation See their statement here: http://FluorideAction.Net/researchers/professionals-statement/text

linda m said...

I think bottled water is a gimmick. I prefer tap waters I'm paying for it anyways. I do keep bottled water around for going on trips, etc. Just to make sure I am drinking purified water. Had a nasty experience once with drinking local water. Have a great weekend. We are expecting snow.

ss said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Momlady said...

Bottled water was looked at under a microscope in England and guess what was found. Itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny, bits of plastic. I'll stick to my sweet well water.

JO said...

From what I understand and have heard we do not have flouride in our water here. The water here is so awful that I filter it and re use the bottles I have bought with water in them. Some times the water smells so bad I have to filter it twice.

Patio sounds wonderful and yes before this new cold front hits.

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
I've seen and heard all the arguments on both sides, and I figure that it hasn't killed me yet I won't change.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Mamahen...
Good or bad, I think we are stuck with it for the most part.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Rob...
You are probably right about that. I can't say for sure.
Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Nys Cof...
I do appreciate your input this morning. Thanks for the link and info.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
Drinking bad water can really cause trouble, especially when driving. I don't blame you for taking your own water.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Momlady...
Sounds like a good choice to me.
Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Jo...
I hate it when the water coming out of the faucet smells bad and taste awful Had it happen before, and it isn't fun.
Thanks, dear, for dropping by this morning.


Dizzy-Dick said...

I have a well and drink well water. A few years ago, they put "city" water in my neighborhood, but I refused to tap into it. The only way I could get away with that is that I have more than ten acres.