Thursday, January 29, 2009

Truck Ransom Paid...!

Remember when I told you a while back that I had a bad water leak in my '91 pickup?

Well, I finally broke down and had it towed to the shop Tuesday. I probably could have taken a chance, filled it with water, and driven it...BUT, I decided to bite the bullet and have it towed because I wanted to avoid blowing the engine. I talked to the mechanic and explained the problem to him, and he promised to call with the prognosis and cost before doing any work!

Now, this leak was NOT in the front by the radiator, all water hoses looked good with no notable leaks, and no water was visibly leaking inside the truck which would indicate to me a leak in the heater core. It was located toward the rear of the engine close to the firewall. I didn't know if it might be a freeze plug broken loose, a crack or blown gasket in the manifold or something serious like that...and I figured I would leave it to a pro.

Anyway, Wednesday I get a call from the garage and Earl, the mechanic, with the prognosis and probable cost. I already knew the tow was $67...so I braced myself for the bad news! Total repairs, including the tow truck...$208.02!!

The cause of the leak was a piece of pewter pipe used to connect two rubber hoses together. Located at the rear of the block, close to the firewall and manifold. Earl replaced the pewter with a piece of steel pipe, replaced the old hoses, and did an oil change...all in a day! Went and picked it up Wednesday afternoon, filled it with gas and took the old truck home again!

Looks good to have a repaired, ready to roll truck in the drive again! Feels good seeing it there as well! I think that's called peace of mind, my friends...peace of mind !

Even with the cost of a full tank of gas, which is still running $1.65 a gallon, I feel very blessed to get the repairs done and come out without having to rob a bank!

So tonight my mind is clear, my body is less stressed, and my wallet is relatively still intact! I think that now would be a good time to have a fresh cup of coffee and relax before turning in for the night! Want to join me, my friend...?

16 comments:

Ellen said...

Glad you got your vehicle back!

Anonymous said...

...piece of mind...priceless...good to hear you got yer 'horse' back on the road...Ken

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it was not an alternator

Mayberry said...

You got off easy! Good....

HermitJim said...

Hey Mayberry...Don't I know it? Guess I must have been a good boy for the "Truck Fairy" to have been so nice to me, huh?

Thanks for stopping by, Dude!

Unknown said...

I am glad you have your trusty ol companion back with as little damage as it was. Something about not having to ask or borrow, ya know!?

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...I know where your coming from with that! Yep...like having an old friend back!

Thanks for stopping by!

Lydia said...

Hi Jim! Glad to hear you have it back and no worries. I remember reading your post about it.

Tab wasn't too bad either, so it all worked out. :)

lydia

HermitJim said...

Hey Lydia...glad to see your smiling face today! Hope the weather is co-operating with you a bit! Thanks for the comments about the truck!

You're right! The tab wasn't bad at all, considering the trucks age!

Thanks for coming by, my friend!

scoutinlife said...

Glad the truck repairs didn't break the piggy bank!

HermitJim said...

Hey Scout...you and me too, Brother!

Thanks for stopping by!

the dafthermits (Mel n andy and wee clan) said...

Hi Jim

glad you got got the old wagon rolling again

so glad i am a qualified mechanic thanks to the Army

$1.65 a gallon god that took me back to my childhood nearly

we pay a minimum of $6.60 a gallon roughly guess i should move to America ha ha


andy

HermitJim said...

Hey M and A...thanks for stopping by. Wow...$6.60 for gas is not good! The lowest I've seen it here was 2 weeks ago when it got to $1.35 a gallon. Should have filled up then!

Happy trails, my friends!

the dafthermits (Mel n andy and wee clan) said...

Hi Jim

could you send us fifty gallons

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

good thing, with two vehicles we go twice as far- Together or apart! It is a sound feeling, knowing that, given the inclination, you COULD go... Just load up the Iron Horse...

going, Going, Go.....

HermitJim said...

Last one out of Houston please turn out the lights?