Saturday, July 4, 2009

What Do I Think...?


Ever wonder just what the Founding Fathers really thought about the writing and signing of the Declaration of Independence?

Writing in July 1776 from Philadelphia, John Adams related to his wife, Abigail: "Yesterday the greatest Question was decided, which ever was debated in America, and a greater, perhaps, never was or will be decided among Men.

A Resolution was passed without one dissenting Colony 'that these united Colonies, are, and of right ought to be free and independent States, and as such, they have, and of Right ought to have full Power to make War, conclude Peace, establish Commerce, and to do all the other Acts and Things, which other States might rightfully do...' This . . . Day . . . will be the most memorable Epoch, in the History of America.

I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. . . . It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

What do I think? What could I possibly add to this outstanding summation of that day's famous events? What is the only thing that would be appropriate to add to this? Only one thing..."God Bless America!"

Now, my friends, let's share some coffee on the patio and count our many blessings on this Independence Day!

Happy 4TH of July, everyone !!!

11 comments:

JoJo said...

Yes God Bless America!
And good morning my Friend,
Happy Fourth!
It is raining buckets here I wonder what it will be like later in the morning. Maybe no pool but thats OK never could have enough rain and I love the sound and the smell in the desert. Maybe a good day to go to Best Buy and bite the bullet and get that new printer, scanner I need and want.

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
Good morning to ya! Happy 4th to ya, my special friend. Haven't seen any rain here...just sprinkles. We need some rain badly, but doesn't look like we will get any until next week!

I think you should go ahead and get a new PSC all in one! I love mine

Thanks for your visit, JoJo...

Rae said...

AMEN!!! Nothing more to add to it.

Happy 4th Jim. Hope it's a great one for you.

Anonymous said...

God Bless America.

Happy 4th Jim

May God keep our service men and women safe as they continue to protect our freedom.

Phelan said...

I am such a dork, I put the lyrics to Yankee Doodle on my blog today. I will probably get in trouble as it isn't so PC, but don't care.

Glory Glory Hallelujah!

HermitJim said...

Hey Rae...
Not much could ever be added hat would mean anything, huh?

Happy holiday and thanks for coming by!


Hey Tony...
Amen to that thought, brother!

Thanks for coming by!


Hey Phelan...
I like Yankee Doodle Dandy! I wouldn't worry about it...just tell them it's because of the historical value!

Thanks for coming by today, Phelan!

JoJo said...

Good mornin my Special One,
The rain has stopped for now. Isn't looking very sunny out there. So it will be off to Best Buy for that printer scanner. That was what I had before too. But the scanner failed for some reason and of yesterday it stopped printing as well, paper came out but it was blank. And yes it has ink. :)Things just don't last forever.
Happy Fourth everyone.

Kyddryn said...

Good morning, Mister Hermit, sir, and a joyous Independence Day to you, too!

I often wonder what the Founding Fathers would have to say about our nation now...and if they get dizzy, spinning in their graves that way.

Still...we haven't lost/given away ALL our freedoms, so there's hope, yet...

Done blathering, sir...I DO hope you have a fine day, whatever you do with it.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

HermitJim said...

Hey K...
Nice to have you come by for a visit! I do think there is a very good chance that somethings will improve...at least, I hope so!

I hope your day is a good one, my friend!

Felinae said...

Just stopping in to wish you a wonderful, Happy Independence Day!

Have a great one, Uncle Hermit.

hugs to ya
Felinae

HermitJim said...

Hey Felinae...
Well, Happy Independence Day to you as well! I hope you and the Catman have a good one also!

Thank you so much for coming by today...!