Sunday, March 7, 2010

Some Thoughts On Life In General...!


You know, sometimes when you really take the time to read a book...I mean, really read it, you can find so many good quotes inside!

If you have ever read any of the books by Robert Heinlein, you will find them absolutely loaded with wonderful quotes that apply so well to life in general! Taken separately, these quotes may not match the theme of the book or story...but when read as part of the story, they make perfect sense in the context of the story!

I wanted to post a few of the more relevant (at least to me) as they pertain to our everyday lives. Take a good look at these and see what you think!

Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
Robert A. Heinlein

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is not far away. It is time to go elsewhere. The best thing about space travel is that it made it possible to go elsewhere.
Robert A. Heinlein

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.
Robert A. Heinlein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.
Robert A. Heinlein

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.
Robert A. Heinlein

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.
Robert A. Heinlein

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein

It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.
Robert A. Heinlein

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein


Well, there are so many more...but I think that's enough for today! Don't want to get the mind working overtime, do we? Even if we don't apply these quotes to our daily lives...they stand alone as truly great life quotes, don't you think?

Now, my friends, how about some coffee on the patio? Supposed to reach the 70's or close today!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are pretty good. I agree with you about when you take the time to read a book you will be surprised at the little bits of treasure you will find when you open your mind and heart :) Have a great day!!!

HermitJim said...

Hey Storm...
Sometimes you almost have to red a book several times to find the quotes that really stick with you!

Not a problem for me, as I usually re-read all my books at least once or twice, ya know?

Hey, thanks for coming by today!

Ben in Texas said...

Good ones, Sir Jim, I like the one that goes something like, "Never argue with the cat, It just irritates both of you . And you both know the cat is right anyway".

HermitJim said...

Hey Ben...
Does sound about right to me! Cats are definitely blessed with an attitude unique to their species!

Strange critters, but a lot of company!

Thanks, Ben, for coming by today!

SHARON said...

Good quotes, HJ. Loved the one about "I am free...". Sorta fits us preppers, doesn't it?

HermitJim said...

Hey Sharon...
It does indeed! That's why I was particularly drawn to this quote!

Funny how some of these things sound as though they were written for us!

I'm glad you could come by today...and that you liked the quotes!

Momlady said...

Great quotes and every one true. I can't always remember quotes from books, but have taken to re-reading those books I really like.

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
I often go back and re-read my favorite books, like visiting with an old friend!

Books give me a real sense of enjoyment...almost as though they were written just for me!

Guess you could say I'm a cheap date!

Thanks for your visit today, my friend!

Ken said...

...funny thing is,most of my books i've read several times,and i find something i missed each time...well,maybe not "missed" but understood differently at a given moment...perceptions change,and when they change,so does the meanings of written words,even tho the text itself doesn't change...

Unknown said...

One of the positive things about my Friday night job is that I have a lot of time to read. I don't always take time otherwise. I not only have the time but I get paid for it,too.
I am not what y'all refer to as a prepper,maybe, but the quotes do express heartfelt ideals (ideas).
I was once advised by a cousin never to re-read books because there were so many more out there to read but I always have and will reread favorites. I keep them,too, as I hate to part with books...good friends.
As always, I enjoyed the post!
Much love.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ken...
That's what I('m talking about! Sometimes the quote or thought presented by the author just slides by...and the next time the words sort of jump off the page at you!

Like you said, perception at any given time can and does change!

Thanks, buddy, fr coming by today!


Hey Sis...
I know just how you feel about getting rid of all the old friends on my book shelves!

I like to go back and re-read my books a lot as well...and, like Kn said, I always seem to fid somthing that i didn't see before!

Always thought it was just me...

Thanks, Sis, for taking the time to come by this morning!

Bob Mc said...

Long ago, when I was just a kid growing up, Heinlein was my favorite science fiction author. Maybe it's time to re-read some of his books.

HermitJim said...

Hey Bob...
The way I see it, many of our favorites should be revisited from time to time...because what they wrote is often percieved a lot differently than before, just like Ken said!

Hey, my friend, thanks for coming by today!

Mechanic in Illinois said...

He isn't just kidding about cats and women doing what they want to. The good thing about both is you can pet them. All the trouble is worth it then.

Mayberry said...

While those quotes are good ones, I still like this one best:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a glass of red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"- Unknown

HermitJim said...

Hey mayberry...
I've always been a bit partial to that one myself!

Funny how some of them can stay with us and be as meaningful tomorrow as today, isn't it?

Thanks for the visit, my friend!