Thursday, January 31, 2013

Silver In Your Socks...!

I had no idea that silver was used in this fashion.

It's always fun to find that precious metals have other uses besides just jewelery! Some of the medical uses of silver I was aware of, but the rest was new to me.

Silver
Stops Your Socks from Smelling





Did you know the socks you’re wearing right now might contain silver? Apart from its many uses in dentistry, jewelry, optics and photography, silver also has some serious antibacterial properties. It can inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi in fabric, which makes it nature’s own odor stopper. 

Because of this, the clothing industry uses quite a lot of silver—in nanosilver form—to stop the clothes they make from smelling. Apart from socks, almost all of your clothes (up to and including your shoes) may well have some silver in them. Silver’s antibacterial superpowers have also made the metal very popular in the world of medicine as a very effective disinfectant and antiseptic.



One of the greatest things about the internet is that it allows us to learn something new each and every day! I really like that! I'm a sucker for obscure information!

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. Toasted sourdough bread on the side!

11 comments:

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Wow! Who would have thought my old socks were valuable! A good one this morning, Mr. Hermit.
Sourdough bread sound delicious!
The weather is downright tropical here this morning - 54 degrees and raining.

linda m said...

Now I know why my grandparents kept all those silver coins - to deodorize Grandpa's socks - haha. Excellent topic in the obscure information department. Coffee inside with sourdough toast sounds good. 12 degrees and overcast here. Thanks for the "learn something new" today.

Anonymous said...

I've read of silver having some type of antiseptic properties, NASA type heat reflective socks and gloves being advertised as having silver impregnated fibers in them. I've never heard about coin storage in socks though - sure, why not!

Momlady said...

Heh, I know some people who could use more silver in their socks. Crazy weather here, 2 inches of rain in 60+ degrees yesterday and sunny and under 30 this morning.

Stephen said...

For me, the question is, how do we recover the silver from those old worn socks...

JO said...

Yup I know some people who should keep sivler in their socks. Guess not enough was put into their socks or shoes.

I'm ready for a refill please.

MamaHen said...

I read an article recently that was written by a lady who had toured one of the big antebellum houses in south Alabama. She said all the doorknobs, handles etc. in the house were silver plate. The guide told them that this was the method of the day, if you could afford it, to help stop the spread of disease. Now, if you think about it, that is very clever because I would imagine tons of germs are spread through doorknobs and such. I thought it was interesting that the knowledge of it went back that far also.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
It does come as a surprise, doesn't it? Guess that treasure is where you find it!

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Linda...
In some cases, extreme measures are called for! I know!

Many thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Anon 7:23...
I didn't know until I read this article, that the clothing industry used silver this much!

I sure do thank you for coming over today!


Hey Momlady...
I think we all know a few folks like that!

Things have sure been strange in the weather department lately. Wonder what's going on?

You stay warm, my friend, and thanks for coming over today!


Hey Stephen...
I was kinda wondering that very thing! Seems like there should be a way!

Hey, thanks for dropping by this morning!


Hey Jo...
Wonder if they make some silver "odor eaters?" Better check that out!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!


Hey Anne...
That is interesting! I would have never thought of something so simple but practical.

Wasn't cheap, I would imagine! I too am surprised they even knew about this back then!

Thanks, girl, for coming over this morning!

Dizzy-Dick said...

There is also colloidal silver which you take internally. I think I would rather use silver this way then give it all do doctors.

Syrbal/Labrys said...

I did know this about non-smelly socks. As for colloidal silver, I keep a bottle, but very rarely use it. Constant use tends to make one take on a peculiar gray-skinned appearance.

Duke said...

Maybe I will start selling old socks.