Monday, April 23, 2018

Squirrel Goes After The Elderly...!

As if getting older wasn't bad enough, now it seems that even the squirrels (or some of them anyway) are targeting the elderly to pick on.

I can only imagine the chaos that erupted when this squirrel attack happened. These poor folks were more than likely having nightmares for a long time afterwards.

Targeting The Elderly



On the savanna, lions like to target the weak and elderly when they hunt because it’s easier to take down their prey. Apparently, squirrels think the same way. In 2016, a squirrel ravaged a retirement home in Florida.

A squirrel ran through the front door of the Volusia senior home and ran straight for the activity room where several elderly people were quietly seated playing chess, doing puzzles, and reading books. The squirrel began jumping on people, biting into their flesh, and scratching with its claws.

Those who could move ran out of the room screaming, but a few of the immobile people were stuck without a way to escape. Someone was brave enough to grab the squirrel and throw it outside. Several people were bleeding by the end of it, and they had to call 911 for an ambulance to help treat the injuries and administer a rabies vaccine.

I got this article from Listverse. Imagine how helpless some of these folks had to feel when they couldn't move fast enough to avoid the critter's rampage.

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Beautiful day coming up!

11 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I believe that if I had hold of it, I've have smashed its sweet little head against a cotton-pickin' brick wall!

linda m said...

I feel so bad for those poor elderly folks. I know quite a few elderly and just imagine how terrified they would be if this happened to them. I agree with Gorges I would have smashed it's head in on a wall.. Mean little bugger!

Momlady said...

That reminds me. I need to get more CO2 cartridges for my BB pistol. Tree rats are a nuisance!

JO said...

Nasty little critter, yes it should have been killed since they fear it had rabies. Poor old folks being trapped like that.

It is a beautiful morning for the patio I think.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Squirrels are not just cute little fuzzy things with bushy tails, they are real hell cats. You ought to see them fight each other over our bird feeder. I go out and plink them with my non-lethal BB-gun. Makes them hurry off for a few minutes.

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

What is it with the squirrels lately? First the dogs, now the old folks - don't they realize most of their free food comes from those same old-timers? Sheesh!
Gonna go work in my yard - big hugs ~

Rob said...

I am not going to comment on the killer squirrels... but it is a fine day for coffee outside here in Alabama!

deb harvey said...

i just read somewhere that a gang of squirrels attacked and killed a dog. is that true?
they were called zombie squirrels.

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
I can agree with that thought. I'm sure they were frightened.
Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Momlady...
They can be a real pain, that's for sure.
Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Jo...
Some were not mobile enough to get away. That's sad.
Thanks for dropping by, sweetie!


Hey Dizzy...
Gotta try and scare them away from the bird feeder for sure.
Thanks for the visit today, my friend!


Hey Sis...
I don't know what that rouge squirrel was thinking.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Rob...
Good weather for being outside is always a blessing.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Deborah...
Last week I did a post on the Zombie squirrels. Maybe that was where you saw it.
Thanks for the visit today!

Mamahen said...

Wow...I am starting to wonder about the wisdom of letting the guys live in our front yard.

deb harvey said...

you are correct. it was here that i read about zombie squirrels!