Thursday, April 19, 2018

What's With Those Zombie Squirrels...?

Now here is a news story that many of you may not have heard about. Zombie squirrels...really!

So far as I can tell, they have only been reported in Russia. That's fine with me 'cause around my house I have a lot of the tree rats, and I would hate for them to start going after the cats, ya know?

Zombie Squirrels



It’s very normal for dogs to bark at squirrels. Their simple existence is enough to drive a pup insane. Apparently, though, squirrels are not fans of being yelled at in another animal’s language. In 2005, a stray dog was barking at a group of black squirrels in a small village called Lazo in Russia.

When the dog approached their tree, several squirrels jumped down and began attacking it. Three local men witnessed the scene. They described watching the squirrels gut the dog and eat it alive. The men started running toward the scene to try to save the dog. The squirrels looked up, and when they saw the humans, they ran away carrying pieces of flesh in their mouths.

Local authorities and scientists were baffled by the case, calling it “absurd.” If there had not been multiple witnesses to confirm the truth, it would be enough to brush it off as a tall tale. The only explanation they could come up with was that there was a pine cone shortage and the critters didn’t have enough to eat.

I got this story from the folks over on Listverse, where they have even more tales about squirrels attacking. Check them out.

Coffee inside today. A small cold front has moved in, it seems.

7 comments:

JO said...

It's pretty squirrel but I wouldn't want them around here either. Pretty disturbing story though.


This weather just doesn't stop surprising us this winter does it.

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

We have lots of squirrels and wandering cats. I'll be on the lookout for attacks from above.

Big hugs ~

Dizzy-Dick said...

So far the squirrels here run from the dogs but they do attack the bird feeder.

Gorges Smythe said...

I was hearing the theme from Twilight Zone as I read your article! - lol

Mamahen said...

WOW! We have the normal squirrels that play in the trees in our front yard. I'll look at them differently from now on! SNOW in the air again here this morning.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I don't think any of us want them as pets, that's for sure! Weather is sure throwing us a lot of curves lately.
Thanks for dropping by today, dear!


Hey Sis...
Probably a good idea.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Dizzy...
Yeah, they do love the bird feeder, don't they?
Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Gorges...
Understandable under the circumstances.
Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Mamahen...
Never hurts to keep an eye on the little critters, just in case.
Thanks for stopping by today!

Momlady said...

Unusual behavior usually means lack of food or overpopulation. That's what my critter guy told me when I asked him why squirrels were trying to eat my porch rails. When I see 'em I get the BB pistol out.