Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Fish Sandwich Is Born...!

Sometimes all it takes to create something new is some financial incentive. That was the case in today's post. You might find this one entertaining.

Filet-O-Fish



Photo credit: Smithsonian Magazine

To most of us, the Filet-O-Fish is simply one of the many items on the McDonald’s menu. But the invention of the sandwich was unlike any of the others. Lou Groen, a franchise owner, came up with the idea after noticing particularly low sales on Fridays. He realized that most of the area was inhabited by Roman Catholics, who did not eat meat on Fridays for religious reasons.

Thus, the Filet-O-Fish was born. As much fun as it is to find out that something popular was created entirely by accident, it is always inspiring when a businessman shows ingenuity.

Sounds like a good thing to me, but then I always did like the fish sandwich.

Coffee out on the patio this morning. No fish sandwiches, though.

10 comments:

Mamahen said...

That was smart thinking. I remember in school, we always had fish or Mac n cheese on Fridays...It is pouring the rain here so a dry patio sounds nice. How about some banana pudding? Or is it to early for sweets?

linda m said...

Very ingenious entrepreneur. Wish I could think of something that would make me money. I do love the fish sandwich. Mamahen, it is never too early for sweets.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Never too early for sweets and banana pudding sounds just fine for me.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Linda...
Pretty savvy business owner, I'd say.
Thanks for coming over this morning!

JO said...

I always liked the fish sandwich, come to think of it haven't had one in years I guess when you avoid those places that's what happens.

See you on the patio

Momlady said...

What's the old saying...necessity is the mother of invention? In this case, lack of sales I reckon.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I haven't had one in a very long time either. Guess we avoid the same places.
Thanks for dropping in today, dear.


Hey Momlady...
I reckon the right kind of motivation can do wonders. Lack of sales seem to be that motivation.
Thanks for stopping by today!

Rob said...

This was a good one!

I had to find out when the fish sandwich happened, I went to wikipeda. "It was invented in 1962 by Lou Groen, a McDonald's franchise owner in Cincinnati, Ohio"

I saw my first McDonalds in the summer of 1966.

HermitJim said...

Hey Rob...
Glad you enjoyed the post, my friend!
Thanks for coming over today!

Dizzy-Dick said...

I have never eaten a McDonalds fish sandwich. Prefer their burgers.

Anonymous said...

“Culver’s” is the place to find a really good fish sandwich