Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Smell Like Snow...?

I know that many folks think that they can smell the snow in the air, but according to this study that is not the case. I hate to pop the bubble, but not really...because I don't care for the snow.

When you think you can smell snow, you aren’t actually smelling anything. It’s a sensory experience caused by colder weather, humidity, and the feeling of cold air. The cold slows down air molecules, humidity boosts your olfactory nerves, freezing air hits the nerve that transmits sensations from your face to your brain, and this creates the crisp ‘scent’ of snow. Source

See? There is always a reasonable explanation, but it may not be what you want to hear.

Coffee in the kitchen again today.

7 comments:

linda m said...

Always thought it was a myth. I also hate snow. Believe me if it weren't for my hubby's job holding us here in WI I would be out of here so fast I think I would break the sound barrier.

Momlady said...

Gee, and here I thought I had some kind of super power...lol. Cold here in GA. In the high 20's this morning. Supposed to go up to the 60's later in the week. Go figure. Pneumonia weather.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
I can sure understand that!Luckily I'm single and retired, so I am certainly more flexible than some.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Momlady...
I don't even want to think about the temps being that cold. I do hope you can stay warm and toasty.
Many thanks for coming by this morning!

JO said...

Well I'll be darned I always thought you could smell snow in the air. Since we only get snow here once in a great while it doesn't matter.

See you in the kitchen

Dizzy-Dick said...

Snow?? That is a dirty word around here. When I was younger and lived up north, I just loved it. Funny how things change when you get old.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I figured that this wouldn't be a problem for you there. Not a lot of snow in your area, I reckon.
Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by today!


Hey Dizzy...
Dirty word is correct, sir. Main thing I remember about the snow is that it's sure messy when it melts!
Thanks for the visit this morning!

Mamahen said...

I hate snow, cold, winter in general...I never really thought about if you could smell snow. Got all the way up to 28° here today, so the kitchen was extra nice:))