Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Tom Horn's Backstory...!

Many times in our history, we judge things without knowing the back story. This backstory is really nothing, except the events leading up to whatever we are trying to judge. In the story of Tom Horn, I think that knowing this information can help us to understand a bit more about what led to his terrible lifestyle.

1860
Tom Horn is born in Missouri

The notorious hired killer Tom Horn is born on this day in 1860, in Memphis, Missouri. “Killing is my specialty,” Horn reportedly once said. “I look at it as a business proposition, and I think I have a corner on the market.”

Horn was raised on a farm, and like many young farm boys, Horn loved to roam the woods with his dog and rifle, hunting for game and practicing his marksmanship. He was an unusually skilled rifleman, an ability that may have later encouraged him to gravitate towards a career as a professional killer. That his father was a violent man, who severely beat his son, might also explain how Horn came to be such a remorseless killer.

However, the young Horn did not immediately begin his adult life as a professional murderer. Fleeing his home in Memphis after a particularly savage beating from his father, the 14-year-old boy first worked as a teamster in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where he demonstrated a quick intelligence and learned Spanish. Horn’s packing and language skills later won him a job with the U.S. Army, where he served as an interpreter with the Apache Indians, learned to be a skilled scout and tracker, and tracked the cunning movements of the famous Apache warrior Geronimo.

Ironically, Horn’s career as a hired gunman began legitimately when he signed up with the well-known Chicago-based Pinkerton Detective Agency, which supplied agents to serve as armed guards and private police forces. Though Pinkerton detectives generally stopped short of carrying out actual murders, they were sometimes called on to fight gun battles with everyone from striking miners to train robbers.

Horn’s four-year stint with the Pinkertons doubtlessly impressed his next employer, the giant Wyoming ranching operation, Swan Land and Cattle Company. Swan and other big ranches funded Horn’s reign of terror in Wyoming, where he assassinated many supposed rustlers and other troublemakers. To take only one example, a Wyoming homesteader named William Lewis had stubbornly claimed his right to farm on what had previously been open range for cattle. He openly bragged about stealing and eating the cattle he found there. The big ranchers warned Lewis to leave the territory, but he refused to back down. In August 1895, he was shot to death with three bullets fired from a distance of at least 300 yards. Few doubted that the sharpshooting Horn killed Lewis.

Horn’s reign of terror ended in 1903, when he was hanged for killing a 14-year-old boy.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't condone what he did for a living, but I can see where just maybe his home life may have had a bad influence on his career.

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. Rain is supposed to happen again.

11 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

A LOT of folks get started on the wrong pathe long before it shows.

Rob said...

Why someone or something turned out to be like they/it are is interesting and there is often a lesson in the story on how to prevent "that" in the future. But... In the "now" the problem is still the problem no matter what caused it.

Tom Horn was a murderer and hanging him stopped his killing.

Momlady said...

Most times we don't know why some people turned out the way they do. Hope you have a peaceful Thanksgiving. I'll be with K and family.

linda m said...

I certainly can see how his upbringing and later lifestyle contributed to his actions. Still doesn't make it right tho. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

JO said...

While I'm sure his upbringing may have caused his out look on life he got what he had coming to him when he thought he could kill kids.

I have a nice apple pie I made yesterday I'll bring to the table. Wishing all come here to Mr. Hermit's morning coffee and Happy Thanksgiving! And of course a special Happy Thanksgiving to my special Friend!

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
How very true that is.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Rob...
I have to agree with you on that. Knowing the reason for someone's' actions doesn't excuse it, but may help us understand it a little.
Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Momlady...
No excuse for bad behavior such as his, no matter what the cause. I think his attitude shows that he was starting to enjoy what he did.
Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Linda...
Nothing could ever make it right, for sure. What goes around, comes around.
Many thanks for stopping by today!

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow, sweetie. I will sure have a piece of that pie! I love apple pie!
Thank you, dear, for dropping by this morning!

Dizzy-Dick said...

I often wondered what I would have been if I were born back in that time. Of course since I had to be born cesarean, I probably wouldn't have survived the birth. But if I had, since I loved and still love being out in the wilderness, I would probably have been an explorer of unknown lands or who knows, maybe even another Tom Horn.

Mamahen said...

Sorry i'm so late...I understand your thinking. Murder is wrong in any case, but you can't help but wonder what goes on in the minds that puts them on the road they go down in life.

HermitJim said...

Hey Dizzy...
I can see you as an explorer or something like that, but in no way can I envision you as another Tom Horn.
Thanks for the visit today!

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I can't help but wonder if somehow we could learn from information like that. Probably not, but still...
Thank you for the visit today!