Monday, April 7, 2008

How About Some Bug Pie...?

Now just so we are clear, some of these recipes are named for fun and certainly NOT for the ingredients. Being mostly from country folks who were used to makin' do with the things available, often one of the main ingredient in any recipe (in live or food) was humor !

I took all the laughter and joy for granted as a youngster cause I didn't understand then just how poor some of the family really was. For the most part, happiness was the normal way of things. Food is a way of spreading the good feelings, and often they were passed down for generations along with the funny names. Sort of comfort food for the soul...

1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 pt. whipping cream
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup raisins

Mix together the sugar and flour. Add all the other ingredients. Pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Despite the name, it's really great!

I do hope that some of you can get by the name long enough to try some of these recipes. Believe me, you will be pleasantly surprised if you do.

Well, I think I'll go and make some fresh coffee and celebrate ! I just heard from an old friend that lives in the Yukon. During the Winter, she goes on a Sun chasing trip and right now she is in Vegas, slowly making her way back to the Frozen North...glad to hear from her again!

So for all my warm hearted friends from cold weather climes...the first cup is on the house! OK ?

No comments: