Tuesday, March 12, 2019

An Very Early Version Of Auto-Navigation...!

Time and time again, we think of ourselves as being so smart as to invent an auto-navigation device only to find out we were certainly not the first after all. Turns out a very early version of this device showed up way back in 1932! From Listverse, here is the story about this surprising idea.

The Iter Auto



Photo credit: gislounge.com

It seems difficult to believe that early personal navigation systems could predate GPS or even satellites, but the first attempt at a commercial navigation device was made when cars were barely past the age of the hand crank in 1932. Produced by an Italian company, the Iter Auto was a console connected to the car’s speedometer and used interchangeable, scrolling maps to guide users to their destinations.

It was the first device to show a user’s position in real time, and it worked—so long as one didn’t make a wrong turn. Of course, the user also had to start from a predetermined point, and many trips were long enough to require multiple scrolls to complete the trip, so the user would have to pull over and change out the scroll for the next one in the sequence every so often. While the device didn’t exactly catch on commercially, it was an ambitious first crack at a technology that wouldn’t begin to reach fruition for over 60 years.

Sometimes I think that we today even surprise ourselves about how smart our forefathers actually were. We sure don't give them enough credit sometimes!

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Temps yesterday got up to low 80s, so all should be good today!

8 comments:

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Who knew we weren't so smart after all?

Thanks, Bubba. I know I sure depend a lot on my GPS, although I do enjoy tracking our trips on a map, too. Best of both worlds, huh?

Big hugs ~

linda m said...

I think our for-fathers were a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Hubby and I have become quite dependent on our GPS device. However, I never go anywhere without taking a physical map with me. I also read road signs which have prevented us from a wrong turn when the GPS didn't work. Never hurts to have back up plan I say.

Momlady said...

I prefer a paper map. Too many times GPS has been wrong. If it is used it's my daughter who's the navigator.

Sixbears said...

I don't need GPS -my lovely wife tells me where to go. :) Several inches of new snow this morning. The winter never seems to end.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...
Yeah, we are pretty fortunate that we have a choice, I reckon.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
When traveling backup plans are all the more important, in my opinion.
Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Momlady...
Sometimes the old ways are the best way.
Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Sixbears...
Always nice to have someone to help guide the way.
Thanks for taking the time to come over!

JO said...

That's pretty cool. I like maps too but now I don't have a printer so rely on my phone for the GPS.

It's pouring down rain here and chilly, so I'll see you on the patio

Dizzy-Dick said...

I believe that ancient humans were just as intelligent as modern man. The only difference is that modern man has had centuries of other people's experiences to build upon.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I don't have to worry, 'cause I never go anywhere but the store.
Thanks, dear, for dropping by today!


Hey Dizzy...
I think you're right, and hope that future folks that follow us will find some useful info left behind by us.
Thanks for stopping by today!