Thursday, March 21, 2019

Better Eat Your Cheerios...!

Many of us still have cereal for breakfast, I'm sure. What might surprise you are the origins of some of the favorite brands of cereal. Here from the folks at Listverse is a brief history of one of those brands.

Cheerios



After the invention of Puffed Rice, Puffed Wheat, and soon after, Kix, puffed cereals were becoming all the rage in the late 1930s and early 1940s. General Mills wanted to experiment with an oat-based puffed cereal. General Mills food science innovator Lester Borchardt gathered a team to test the oat-based recipe and to develop tools that cut the mixture into a variety of different shapes. They tested over 500 formulas as well as tons of shape options, including “a sphere, a six-pointed star, a five-pointed star, a four-pointed star, a three-pointed star, a thin-walled doughnut, a thick-walled doughnut, a dumbbell, a spiral, and a square.” The winner was the doughnut shape, known as a torus, as it fit best into packaging.

General Mills perfected and finally launched the cereal in 1941, as “CheeriOats.” However, this name was short-lived, as the Quaker Oats company quickly filed a lawsuit complaining of infringement on the use of the term “oats.” The cereal was re-released in 1945 as “Cheerios” and has been a top-selling cereal in the United States ever since.

My favorite breakfast is either eggs and bacon, or biscuits and gravy...but I won't turn down instant oatmeal when offered! In fact, I seldom turn down any food if offered, know what I mean?

Coffee out on the patio again this morning. Now that's something that goes with any breakfast!

8 comments:

Mamahen said...

I usually do tea and wheat toast with a banana for breakfast, but often have cereal as a snack in the evening:))

Gorges Smythe said...

Beats me how you can claim infringement on the name of a general variety of cereal grain.

linda m said...

I usually have oatmeal with honey on it, covered with a small amount of Great Grains. Most toddlers are given Cherrios because they child won't choke on them as they dissolve rapidly in the mouth. Just some Trivia for today.

Momlady said...

Cereal is for me for breakfast. English muffins once in a while. Cheerios is one of my favorites. Has been ever since I was a kid and that was a long time ago. Must have coffee, too.

Rob said...

Since milk stopped agreeing with me I stopped having breakfast cereals. I do have oatmeal, fixed simply.
1/2 c oats in a bowl, 1 c boiling water, stir & wait awhile then eat. A banana cut up in the bowl before the boiling water is added is very nice.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
My Mom used to have cereal sometimes in the evening. Worked for her.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Gorges...
Maybe just because it was in the title, I don't know.
Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Linda...
I do like the sound of oatmeal and honey. I appreciate the trivia!
Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Momlady...
There is a comfort sticking with a food you have liked since childhood, I reckon. I never acquired a taste for english muffins or bagels. Go figure!
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Rob...
Bananas are always a great addition to any breakfast. many other fruits can be as well.
Thanks for the visit today!

JO said...

I always fed my babies Cheerios on there tray. Boy was that a long time ago. But I have a variety of breakfasts. I make oat meal with raisin, cranberries and black berries, or a veggie omlet, bacon and eggs my all time favorite would be biscutes and gravey but I can't for the life of me make gravey and always a cup of coffee. Linda I did not know that little trivia but it sure makes sense.

Going to be a nice morning for the patio

Dizzy-Dick said...

I have eaten Cheerios for over 60 years. When I was a kid, the doctor told my Mom to not feed me any wheat, so I practically lived on Cheerios (which she believed to be wheat free) and believe it or not, I still eat them to this day. Now, I eat them mixed with yogurt and cranberry juice and of course some sugar.