Friday, March 1, 2019

Special Thanks To China For This Invention...!

There comes a time when due credit should be given for the invention of a product...in this case, toilet paper! We can thank the early Chinese for this invention, judging from what I've read.

Toilet Paper



Sui Dynasty: 581 – 618 AD

As noted above, paper was an early invention of China. One of the first recorded accounts of using hygienic paper was during the Sui Dynasty in 589. In 851 an Arab traveler reported (with some amazement) that the Chinese used paper in place of water to cleanse themselves. By the late 1300’s, approximately 720,000 sheets per year was produced in packages of 1,000 to 10,000 sheets. In colonial times in America (late 1700’s) it was still common to use corn-cobs or leaves. Commercial toilet paper was not introduced until the 1857 and at least one early advertiser noted that their product was ‘splinter free’ – something quite far from today’s ‘ultra-soft’. One rather odd piece of trivia I picked up during my research is that the Romans used a sponge tied to the end of a stick – which may have been the origin of the expression “to grab the wrong end of the stick”.

As usual, this article was garnered from the folks at Listverse. I'm just the messenger here.

Coffee inside once more this morning.

7 comments:

linda m said...

Thank you to the Chinese for toilet paper. Probably the most used product in my household. And thank you for the Ultra Soft kind.

Mamahen said...

I remember as a child having an old
outhouse, and if you wanted to have the luxury of soft toilet paper, you had to take it with you. Otherwide, you used a page from whatever magazine was on the shelf at the time, and prayed the snow or rain hadn't gotten blown in on it....seems like a thousand years ago:))

bigfoot said...

Looks like a crappy article here.

JO said...

WOW they came up with something that didn't cause the killing of beautiful animals. But I sure thank them for the TP. Some told me years ago when fruits and veggies were wrapped in paper they would take it home and use it for TP.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
I think we all have a tendency to take this one for granted. Having used the alternatives, I'm glad to have it!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Mamahen...
Many of us have had the joy of using an outhouse, I think. Not a very fond memory, especially in the winter.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Bigfoot...
I reckon you could say that.
Thanks for the visit this morning!

Dizzy-Dick said...

I remember out houses and those catalogs, but I always carried my own supply of mush softer paper. The catalogs were just there for entertainment and for emergencies when needed.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
It was a welcome invention, for sure!
Thanks, dear, for dropping by today!


Hey Dizzy...
Taking your own paper was probably a good move, buddy! Using the catalogs was not pleasant.
Thanks for coming over today!