Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Like Being Old...!

Here are some thought on getting old I wanted to share with you this morning!

Old Age, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be.

Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.

As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging. Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it !)

Now I'm going to have another cup of coffee...want to join me?

8 comments:

Cat Melton said...

Hey Old Friend,
I think you need a peanut butter cookie with that coffee...
And, I still think you're only as old (or young) as you want to be. I am glad to be just where I am...a little silver in the hair, and a lot of memories both remembered and forgotten!

Have a happy day,
Cat

Lydia said...

Good morning Jim,

Wonderful post once again! And so true. What freedom there is in not worrying about some of these things, right?

I complain sometimes about getting older, this hurts that hurts and so on, but overall I have to agree. I like me best now, because as you have so wonderfully said, I have become not just my friend, but my best friend. The best part is that *stuff* just does not upset me nearly as much these days.

Having coffee right with ya! I don't really like cookies so will just have some more coffee. Ahhh would be so nice to have a beach nearby. There are many lakes and rivers around here, but the rocks are slimy and the lakes have all sorts of aquatic life swiming through and around your body.

thanks for a great start!
lydia

HermitJim said...

Hey Cat...I would relly like to have a peanu butter cookie this morning! It would taste great with my coffee...and thank you for thinking about it!

Memories are funny things. Seems that the older we get, the better the memories are. Natures way of making us smile, I think!

Thanks for the visit and for the cookie, My smiley friend...

HermitJim said...

Hey Lydia...thanks for the visit. You know, when we begin to really know ourselves then we can truly start to understand others.

I've often said that in order to be happy being alone, you have to like yourself. I really believe that.

Have a good day and thanks for the visit...

Anonymous said...

You did it again, Bubba. So true and so many things I need to work on myself. Even though you have a birthday coming up (November 21st, for all you blogging buddies) I don't think of you as old at all. Or , if you are old, I like you the way you are.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...thanks for coming by. Glad you enjoyed the post and I think you are not alone with the need to work on learning these lessons.

Hope you have a good day!

blondie said...

Oh Jim,
What great thoughts you have.

I took my time reading it, out loud, to enjoy a memory or feeling that I got with each sentence.
I could relate to so much of what you said. Amazing, isn't it?

OK now I'm feeling too serious. And I don't have time to be serious in my 'old age'. I did enough of that when I was younger. hehe

Thanks for the coffee,
And you have a wonderful dancing to the oldies kinda day, OK?
C'ya soon,
blondie

xox-Missi Mi-xox said...

Hey Jim

Well not only are you a lover of coffee but you have such a good outlook on things.

I always thought of humans aging like wine ... some get drank too early, spilt, broken, or put in cheap casks, the rest mature differently. Depending on how it is kept and what it has inside will either end up sweet or bitter The packaging is rarely as important as whats IN the bottle. The older I get, and the more I realise .... I always say you gotta love older people and listen to what they say. I will be old one day and I will count every grey hair, wrinkle and forget how many things Ive forgotten with joy just knowing I made it that far.

I love your work Jim. Its always great to be having my morning coffee with you. Here this ones on me