Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Have A New Slogan...

I'm not even sure if I even had an old slogan, but now I have a new one!

This all came about by the simple gift of a T-shirt given to me by my sister. The shirt is white, and on the back in the middle of a stylized Texas flag, is the slogan "Don't Mess With Bubba!"

Now it's my guess that Sis meant the t-shirt as a joke because I am always talking about moving to the country! However, she could have meant it as a warning to all the possible people predators that live in this city!

Maybe she feels that it's only sporting to give these types a fair warning, just in case they happen to get close enough to actually read the back of the shirt without me noticing. I did notice, however, that the slogan (or warning) is in large type and printed in easy to read letters, just in case some of these bums are not well educated!

I like the way that the phrase kinda rolls off the tongue...and I don't mind a bit if someone wants to call me a "Bubba". Even if they think they are being disrespectful somehow, to me the term "Bubba" means someone that can make do with the materials at hand. It calls up images of someone that can build a cabin from scrap, make booze out of grain from scratch, grow his own food, and even kill and then skin a critter, thus putting supper on the table for his family.

I see a person that can continue to keep a vehicle running long after all the car lots and auto parts houses say it can't be repaired anymore. If "Bubba" can't buy the part, steal it from a junker somewhere, or scrounge one up in a junk yard, then he uses his brain and ingenuity to fashion something somehow out of almost nothing! Good person to have around, I'd say!

Some folks think the term "Bubba" is slanderous. Some say it is cruel. To many it calls up an image of poor folks, maybe too lazy to work. Tell that to the old boy working in his shed or barn, making a part to keep his Ford or John Deere tractor from many decades ago running. Tell that to the old boy's wife that can make and repair clothing, make a beautiful quilt from scraps of material others would throw away, and create a wonderful Sunday dinner from that old rooster that finally just got too old to do his job! Tell that to the young boys and girls that are not glued to the T.V., but are outside making and playing with their own toys like forts, tire swings, and wooden weapons like swords or rifles. They might even be down at the local swimming hole, having a good time with an old inner tube that dad just can't patch any more. For anyone that has never had that kind of fun, I feel sad for ya!

The whole point I'm trying to make here is that the term lazy is a very, very bad choice and is more of lie than a description! Besides, it shows the world just how ignorant you are...and I have a feeling you would rather that be kept a secret, right?

Anyway, I've decided to make this term "Don't Mess With Bubba" my new slogan. It's a term that doesn't hurt my feelings a bit, fits me and a lot of my friends pretty well, and besides...my sisters call me Bubba as a term of endearment and that means a LOT to me!

Oh, and one more reason I'm making this my new slogan...I already have the T-shirt!

Now, c'mon with me, my friend and we'll get a fresh cup of coffee and sit a while on the back porch...that's another thing that a "Bubba" can do pretty well! Share with his friends!!

21 comments:

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

Mornin' HJ darlin'!

I have a Bubba already, so you have to stay HJ to me, lol. My Bubba is quite the handyman himself, a tinkerer from day one. Not much of anything he can't fix or at least take apart really well. Something he inherited from Pa and has passed down to my oldest screamer...no if I can just get him to teach the screamer what is appropriate for dismantling!

Fill 'er up HJ, I've already got in my six hours sleep for the next twenty four...should be a good day!

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HermitJim said...

Hey Momma...what in the world are you doing up at this time of the morning? You should be in bed, cuddling with the DH...

I thought I was the only one that stayed up this late.

Hey, taking things apart can be a handy hobby, but putting them back together again is good!

You have a good day, girl, and thanks for coming by!

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

Ha! I've already been to bed and got my sleep in, lol. And we have California King Size bed so I don't HAVE to cuddle *giggles*.

You aren't alone at any rate, I'm up most times until 3 or 4 a.m. (my time) surfing the net, doing yoga or just puttering around. This is my 'me' time!

On the second cup already HJ...pass the sugar?

HermitJim said...

I'll give ya some sugar anytime...OH, you mean for the coffee...!

Sorry! Sugar coming up!

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

You ARE bad....I like it! ;P

Anonymous said...

Pass the coffee HJ along with a healthy dose of whiskey. Think I'll take up drinking while I'm waiting.
YeOldFurt

Phelan said...

continue to keep a vehicle running long after all the car lots and auto parts houses say it can't be repaired anymore. Ha! There is a group of motorcycle mechanics that we call the Bubbas because of that.

I am just now on my 3rd cup of coffee.

Anonymous said...

Your slogan reminds me of that T-shirt reading 'Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park!', lol.

Yeah, Bubba has a negative conotation, but like that movie line line goes, 'Just cause I speak slow doesn't mean I think slow'.

Here's to all the Bubbas in the world. A Country Boy will Survive.

Anonymous said...

Morning Jim;
I guess I'll have to settle for Bubba#2. I can live with that.

Noki said...

Sounds good. My personal motto is, "I blame the public school system." That one's almost always right on the money, when I use it.

Hugs,
Ashley

JoJo said...

Good morning Bubba, I love it. I call one of my grandsons Bubba and it is an endearment and you are dear to me too. The shirt was a great gift and I noticed how you sis always called you that. So enjoy it and you new slogan. From the heart of the Strange One. LOL
Let have that coffee on the porch and listen to the birds singing this mornin.
JoJo

HermitJim said...

Hey OldFurt...alitlle fortified coffee is whats called for sometimes. A little taste now and then is good for what ails ya.

Thanks for the visit, my friend!


Hey Phelan...I'll bet they don't mind a bit, either. Keeping the older vehicles going is an art form, I'm thinking!

Appreciate you coming by today!


Hey Anon 7:37...I like that slogan pretty good! I may have to start a T-shirt business just to keep track of all these great sayings.

Hey, Thanks for coming by!


Hey Tony...you spent most of your life making things that were needed from scratch, right? That, my friend, shuld make you Bubba #1 in my book!

Proud to have you visit today!


Hey Ashley...so many times the "Re-education centers" are at the root of the problems, so I guess that slogan is a good one!

Thanks for the visit, Kiddo!


Hey JoJo...did I ever tell you that I have a soft spot in my heart for "granny ladies"? Being considered special by you makes me feel just that!

Love sitting on the porch with ya this morning!

TEAM HALL said...

Just stopping by to say good morning, Bubba. Have a wonderful day!
Cath

HermitJim said...

Hey Cath...good to see you again, my friend! Always a pleasure!

I appreciate you dropping by!

Unknown said...

Certainly Bubba is a term of great endearment when addressed to you. I also know you can (and will) manage to get by better than barely!!
Love you, BUBBA.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...I don't mind a bit when folks call me that,especially the two pretty ladies I call Sis!

Sure do thank you for the kind comments and for the visit!

Anonymous said...

"Bubba" is not a part of my culture (not American), but I have heard enough reference to understand the post.

Highly entertaining, Bubba is more popular than I thought, now quit writing and pass the coffee.

AV

HermitJim said...

Hey AV...maybe you can start a new nickname in Brazil. Start calling someone you know "Bubba", let them research it, and it might catch on! You could have the first Brazilian Bubba!

Thanks for the visit!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Hey Uncle Bubba-- re o.m's 2nd comment-- knew i loved her! lol!

Baby Sis said...

Yes, Bubba - I mean it both ways. Just had to have that shirt when I saw it! My Bubba is special, even though I don't remember calling you that when we were little. My first thought for the shirt was my big brother (in the best sense of that phrase, little "b"s rather than capital "B"s). But when you explain the way you think of Bubba, I'll go for that, too. You are still special, no matter what! Love & Hugs -