Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Still Like Ike...!


I'm thinking that Eisenhower had it right!

I'm thinking that we could surely use a LOT of this kind of wisdom in today's government! It's a shame that we don't!

Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Only our individual faith in freedom can keep us free.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Our pleasures were simple - they included survival.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Our real problem, then, is not our strength today; it is rather the vital necessity of action today to ensure our strength tomorrow.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

The history of free men is never really written by chance but by choice; their choice!
Dwight D. Eisenhower

There is nothing wrong with America that faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

You don't lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

We are tired of aristocratic explanations in Harvard words.
Dwight D. Eisenhower


Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Even though Eisenhower was from a different time, his wisdom tends to lend itself very well to the political climate we have today!

Now, my friends, let's get some fresh coffee and sit outside for a bit!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked Ike as a military man not as President.But he is the one responsible for our interstate highways.I came in to this world with F D R and Joe Lewis.I know D DAY was a hard call for Ike.The most difficult landing of D-Day was at Omaha beach.Of all the Presidents I've lived through My favorite is Truman.

Momlady said...

Ronald Reagan once said,"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
And at least Truman took responsibility for his actions whereas nobody wants to these days.
It's too damp and chilly to sit outside today so I'll enjoy my coffee right here. Have a great day.

Ben in Texas said...

I wasn't old enough to vote of course, bur remember the champagne buttons of I LIKE IKE. Mother kept two of them in her jewelery box and they are still there. Personally I prefer a President who has military experience.

JoJo said...

Good Morning My Special One,
These are great quotes. I was very young but from what I heard and still do he was a great man. Of course that was hearsay, everyone has thier own opinion.
Coffee out on the patio sound wonderful.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ted...
Ike did not really want to be the president and was glad when he was out of office! At least, that's what he said!

I wonder what kind of quotes will be attributed to Obama?

Hey, thanks for coming by today!


Hey Momlady...
I can only imagine the frustration of the office, unless you just don't care about the people!

A lot of wise men have held that office in the past...and many who were not!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Ben...
You might check around as those buttons could be worth something to a collector! I think that the fact Ike was a general didn't hurt his chances of getting elected...

I think we need more folks like that again!

Thanks for coming by today, buddy!


Hey JoJo...
I think that a lot of folks would agree that he was a good man, and a good president!

I don't know for sure, but I think my folks were Ike fans!

Hey sweetie, thanks for coming by!

Dizzy-Dick said...

Yep, I rember Ike and Mamie, and he did ok as president. Well, at least he didn't do anything to get the courntry in any trouble. . . cause maybe he didn't do too much except for the interstate highways. Patton maybe would have done better, but will never know. Adlai Stevenson could make better speaches.

I agree with Ted about Truman. Truman and Reagan were my two favorite presidents.

HermitJim said...

Hey Dick...
I can barely remember him, but I know when I saw him on television, I was always struck by the fact that he seemed to be very strong!

Of course, back then most older men seemed to be of strong character to me! A sign of my youth, I guess!

Those days are certainly gone forever!

Hey, thanks for coming by today!

Mechanic in Illinois said...

I was born when Eisenhower was president. My father met him in England when he was in the service in WW11. It is really too bad Patton was killed before he could have run for president. I think he would have been my favorite. My father said he would have straightened out alot of stuff. Thanks for another great lesson.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mechanic...
I didn't know enough about Patton to decide if he would have made a good president or not.

I do know that both of these men seemed to be very strong in their beliefs, but I just wonder if that would be enough in today's climate?

I appreciate you coming by today!

Tatersmama said...

I like Ike too. I like the idea of a strong president, and a man who has some life experience under his belt.
In spite of everything that Obama is doing to us, it amazes me that so many people still seem to favor him, so I'm learning to keep my mouth shut in most circles.

Coffee would be great right about now. We're down to almost freezing this morning, and I can't afford to turn the heater on this early in the season!

HermitJim said...

Hey Tatersmama...
I keep forgetting that our seasons are reversed! I started to ask about why you would be getting cold, but then I remembered!

I have an exellent6 memory, but it's just not very long!

Glad you could come by today, my friend!

tjbbpgobIII said...

Another thing Ike was able to do, and it to was great in my opinion, he rounded up all the illegals in the Southwest and sent them home. Wish we had someone who'd do that today.

Anonymous said...

Patrick...

.....Google "Other Losses" by James Bacque and find out what a true lowlife "Ike" was; under his picture in the Westpoint yearbook, it says, "that terrible Swedish jew"...

.....Why do people always fall in love politicos' public relations when they ALL liie?