Saturday, May 15, 2010

Thank You Rudyard Kipling...!


This poem really nails it!

Probably more relevant today than it was in 1909 when it was written! It is considered by many as a guide to live by.

Certainly a good inspirational way to start the weekend, don't you think?

IF

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master,
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)


What an amazing talent! Well worth spending a little time to read, I think!

How about som fresh coffee in the kitchen, my friends? Raining outside this morning!

11 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

Great poem and a wonderful talent, that Kipling. Enjoyed reading it again.

Keep up the good work.

Ben in Texas said...

Mr Jim , did you bring back some ole school memories today with that poem! My Speech/Drama teacher had that on one wall and we all had to read it and write a paper on it He referred to it on many occasions.
Thanks for the memories Mr Jim!!

Jeremy and Jenny said...

Thanks for that. Much needed. Still snowing in Colorado!

HermitJim said...

Hey Dizzy Dick...
Glad you liked it. Never hurts to go revisit the classics from time to time!

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Ben...
I don't know how much about folks like Mr. Kipling they teach in school today, but if kids don't get to read this in school...that's a shame!

Good to see you this morning, buddy! Thanks for the visit!


Hey Jeremy an Jenny...
Sorry to hear about the snow! I can imagine what a mess that must be!

Want me to send you some of this warm weather from Texas? Glad to share it...!

Hey, I appreciate the visit today!

JoJo said...

Good Morning My Special One,
Sorry I'm late had to finish some last min. online stuff before I leave.
Kipling great, thanks for posting.
Coffee in the kitchen is also great brings us a little closer you know. :)

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
Glad you are getting things together for your adventure! I think you'll have a great time...!

Just remember to take a lot of pictures...and post them on your blog to share with us!

Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by today!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gwen said...

Lovely poem and thanks for posting. I'm taking a poetry class this summer (it's required for my major... isn't that great?) and I'm looking forward to more Kipling along the way. Beautiful!

HermitJim said...

Hey Ginger...
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think it's great that you are going back to school, girl! I'll bet you are enjoying it!

Thank you so much for dropping by today!

Kyddryn said...

I have a little book in which "If" is printed. I've always loved it, and hope to help instill some of the values in the Evil Genius.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

vlad said...

I have the definitive edition of Kipling's poems. When I was a kid I had quarto editions of Barrack Room Ballads. Kipling wrote much from Afrika during the Boer Wars. Great stuff.