Friday, May 7, 2010

Ya Gotta Love Grandkids...!


If any of you have ever been around your grand kids at times like these, you'll recognize one or more of these statements!

You may have heard them from your own kids! Either way, it's always fun to see life from a child's point of view!

1. She was in the bathroom, putting on her makeup, under the watchful eyes of her young granddaughter, as she'd done many times before. After she applied her lipstick and started to leave, the little one said, "But Grandma, you forgot to kiss the toilet paper good-bye!" I will probably never put lipstick on again without thinking about kissing the toilet paper good-bye....

2. My young grandson called the other day to wish me Happy Birthday. He asked me how old I was, and I told him, 62. My grandson was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, "Did you start at 1?"

3. After putting her grandchildren to bed, a grandmother changed into old slacks and a droopy blouse and proceeded to wash her hair. As she heard the children getting more and more rambunctious, her patience grew thin. Finally, she threw a towel around her head and stormed into their room, putting them back to bed with stern warnings. As she left the room, she heard the three-year-old say with a trembling voice, "Who was THAT?"

4. A grandmother was telling her little granddaughter what her own childhood was like. "We used to skate outside on a pond. I had a swing made from a tire; it hung from a tree in our front yard. We rode our pony. We picked wild raspberries in the woods."

The little girl was wide-eyed, taking this all in. At last she said, "I sure wish I'd gotten to know you sooner!"

5. My grandson was visiting one day when he asked, "Grandma, do you know how you and God are alike?" I mentally polished my halo and I said, "No, how are we alike?'' "You're both old," he replied.

6. A little girl was diligently pounding away on her grandfather's word processor. She told him she was writing a story. "What's it about?" he asked. "I don't know," she replied. "I can't read."

7. I didn't know if my granddaughter had learned her colors yet, so I decided to test her. I would point out something and ask what color it was. She would tell me and was always correct. It was fun for me, so I continued.. At last, she headed for the door, saying, "Grandma, I think you should try to figure out some of these colors yourself!"

8. When my grandson Billy and I entered our vacation cabin, we kept the lights off until we were inside to keep from attracting pesky insects. Still, a few fireflies followed us in. Noticing them before I did, Billy whispered, "It's no use Grandpa. Now the mosquitoes are coming after us with flashlights."

9. When my grandson asked me how old I was, I teasingly replied, "I'm not sure." "Look in your underwear, Grandpa," he advised "Mine says I'm 4 to 6."

10. A second grader came home from school and said to her grandmother, "Grandma, guess what? We learned how to make babies today." The grandmother, more than a little surprised, tried to keep her cool. "That's interesting." she said. "How do you make babies?" "It's simple," replied the girl. "You just change 'y' to 'i' and add 'es'."

11. Children's Logic: "Give me a sentence about a public servant," said a teacher. The small boy wrote: "The fireman came down the ladder pregnant." The teacher took the lad aside to correct him. "Don't you know what pregnant means?" she asked. Sure," said the young boy confidently. 'It means carrying a child."

12. A grandfather was delivering his grandchildren to their home one day when a fire truck zoomed past. Sitting in the front seat of the fire truck was a Dalmatian dog. The children started discussing the dog's duties. "They use him to keep crowds back," said one child. "No," said another. "He's just for good luck." A third child brought the argument to a close."They use the dogs," she said firmly, "to find
the fire hydrants."

13. A 6-year-old was asked where his grandma lived. "Oh," he said, "she lives at the airport, and when we want her, we just go get her. Then, when we're done having her visit, we take her back to the airport."

14. Grandpa is the smartest man on earth! He teaches me good good things, but I don't get to see him enough to get as smart as him!

15. My Grandparents are funny, when they bend over, you hear gas leaks and they blame their dog.


What about it? Anything sound familiar? You just have to love the mind of a child!

Now, my friends, let's have some fresh coffee on the patio! Looks like another beautiful day!

14 comments:

vlad said...

My grandson was seven when I taught him to safely close a sharp folder.
Hold the back of the blade. Release lock and slowly move handle to cover sharp edge.
Start early. Children are apprentice people.

JoJo said...

Good Morning My Special One,
I love these, I have so many fond memories of my own kids and now my grandkids. Gotta love them.
Coffee on the patio with you sounds wonderful.

Ben in Texas said...

Your post this morning reminded me about Art Linkletter and his Kids Say the darnest things.
A personally one, at the farm one time a young ( 4 yr old) cousin was visiting. I had been outside doing something and came in shivering and rubbing my hands to warm them up. He ask in his innocent voice, What’s the matter Uncle Ben? Told him my hands were cold. He replied “ Put your hands in your pockets Uncle Ben”

HermitJim said...

Hey Vlad...
That's about the best way to put it that I can think of! "Apprentice people"!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey JoJo...
Nothing like some good memories to keep us warm as we get older!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!


Hey Ben...
Things can be so simple when seen through the eyes of a child!

Sometimes I think we have to grow up and become "educated" to the point that we lose our sense of wonder about life in general!

Hey, thanks for the visit, buddy!

Mechanic in Illinois said...

I don't have any grandkids yet, but I practice on the kids next door.
They're a hoot, they come over when we get deer and ask questions like "did we get them with the car?". Sometimes that would be alot easier. Thanks for another great lesson.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mechanic...
pretty good practice, I'm thinking!

I never get to see my grand kids, but I can only guess that many of the questions asked here would be universal!

I do appreciate the visit today!

Felinae said...

:)Good morning, Uncle Hermit.

Thank you for sharing this it was cute. I especially liked #8, mosquitoes with flashlights, hahaha!

Children are great, gotta love 'em.

many hugs to you, my friend
~Felinae~

HermitJim said...

Hey Felinae...
Glad you liked the post...and I'm certainly glad you could come by today!

I appreciate it!

Tatersmama said...

Awww... out of the mouths of babes! This post his pretty close to home, as you can imagine... so I have tears in my eyes right now. Nothin' a hot cup of coffee wouldn't cure though!
Have a wonderful day, my friend!

Caddie said...

Hey Hermit, I've seen these before but they still make me grin and giggle. Hope you don't mind that I put the link for them on mine. surely these will make that one certain reader bubble with laughter too. If not, I give up.

HermitJim said...

Hey Tatersmama...
I knew that you could associate with this one. Sorry to bring on the tears, my friend!

They are a little heart warming, though...aren't they?

Thanks so much for coming by today!


Hey Sissy...
Some things just never go out of style, that's for sure!

If this doesn't make that someone at least smile a bit...nothing will!

Thanks for coming by, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Here's a couple for ya HJ. Daughter five, "Dayna's walking funny," Dayna three was actually drunk; I'd left a part glass of port the night before.

And Dayna watching me put on my old style uniform, slipped the braces (suspenders) up over my shoulders, "Dad, why have your pants got seat belts?"

Ellen Suelen seven, after watching five kitten being born. "I'm not having kids, it's messy!"

AV

Anonymous said...

Thank you.
Made me laugh.
Grandkids are special gifts

AnnaMouse

HermitJim said...

Hey AV...
Those are priceless! Especially the one about the seat belts!

You just never know what kids are going to say!

Thanks for sharing these with us...and for coming by today!


Hey AnnaMouse...
That's my desire...to make someone grin a bit! If I can do that, I feel good about the day!

Hey, I appreciate you coming by today!