Friday, May 21, 2010

What Our Colors Mean...!


This article pretty much sums up what the colors on the American Flag mean!

Of course, they mean something different to each and every one of us, but I think that this explains it as well as anything I have ever seen!

I am the Flag

by Ruth Apperson Rous


I am the flag of the United States of America.

I was born on June 14, 1777, in Philadelphia.

There the Continental Congress adopted my stars and stripes as the national flag.

My thirteen stripes alternating red and white, with a union of thirteen white stars in a field of blue, represented a new constellation, a new nation dedicated to the personal and religious liberty of mankind.

Today fifty stars signal from my union, one for each of the fifty sovereign states in the greatest constitutional republic the world has ever known.

My colors symbolize the patriotic ideals and spiritual qualities of the citizens of my country.

My red stripes proclaim the fearless courage and integrity of American men and boys and the self-sacrifice and devotion of American mothers and daughters.

My white stripes stand for liberty and equality for all.

My blue is the blue of heaven, loyalty, and faith.

I represent these eternal principles: liberty, justice, and humanity.

I embody American freedom: freedom of speech, religion, assembly, the press, and the sanctity of the home.

I typify that indomitable spirit of determination brought to my land by Christopher Columbus and by all my forefathers - the Pilgrims, Puritans, settlers at James town and Plymouth.

I am as old as my nation.

I am a living symbol of my nation's law: the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights.

I voice Abraham Lincoln's philosophy: "A government of the people, by the people,for the people."

I stand guard over my nation's schools, the seedbed of good citizenship and true patriotism.

I am displayed in every schoolroom throughout my nation; every schoolyard has a flag pole for my display.

Daily thousands upon thousands of boys and girls pledge their allegiance to me and my country.

I have my own law—Public Law 829, "The Flag Code" - which definitely states my correct use and display for all occasions and situations.

I have my special day, Flag Day. June 14 is set aside to honor my birth.

Americans, I am the sacred emblem of your country. I symbolize your birthright, your heritage of liberty purchased with blood and sorrow.

I am your title deed of freedom, which is yours to enjoy and hold in trust for posterity.

If you fail to keep this sacred trust inviolate, if I am nullified and destroyed, you and your children will become slaves to dictators and despots.

Eternal vigilance is your price of freedom.

As you see me silhouetted against the peaceful skies of my country, remind yourself that I am the flag of your country, that I stand for what you are - no more, no less.

Guard me well, lest your freedom perish from the earth.

Dedicate your lives to those principles for which I stand: "One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I was created in freedom. I made my first appearance in a battle for human liberty.

God grant that I may spend eternity in my "land of the free and the home of the brave" and that I shall ever be known as "Old Glory," the flag of the United States of America.


That just about sums it up for me!

Now, my friends, let's get some fresh coffee and sit outside before it gets too hot! We can watch the garden grow, and the flag waving in the wind!

11 comments:

Andy in Germany (AKA Workbike) said...

I'm less than keen on the flag of the UK.

The red cross is from Saint George, and the cross of Christ, but it was used as the flag of the Crusaders. Some 'crusades' were defending our own cities and countries, others... not so much.

The blue diagonal cross is the symbol of St. Andrew of Scotland, which was added at the time of the union, but the diagonal red lines were from the 'Union' with Ireland. Not the most glorious part of the UK's history.

And my own flag of Wales is totally absent because it wasn't considered worth adding to the flag of England when we were invaded.

Now, the flag of my adopted country is a different affair: Black for honour, Red for freedom, and gold for the nation. It comes from a revolution in the 1800's which was identical to the American revolution.

I can live with a flag like that.

HermitJim said...

Hey Andy...
I didn't know all that about the UK flag! Thanks for sharing the information and educating all of us here in the states!

I have to admit that there are a lot of the history of other countries that I don't know...in fct, there is a lot of our own history that I am just finding out about!

Guess we are never too old to keep learning!

Thanks for coming by today, my friend!

Anonymous said...

HJ, good morning. Off topic, although I love flageology There is a vee name for it that I can't remember), but I have taken the liberty of reviewing your blog on my Blogger's Cafe:
http://avarchives.blogspot.com/
Check it out. You can get the award by copying and pasting the script on the Widgets Page if you want to display it on your blog, it does nothing more innocuous than add a link to Blogger's Cafe.

AV

Momlady said...

Mornin' Mr. Hermit, sir. A very nice post indeed. One small flaw...Columbus did NOT discover America and why the fact that he did is taught in school is beyond me.
By the way, did you send the rain this way?

Ben in Texas said...

Good post Sir Jim. I think you should teach US history to kids in school , cause these days they sure aren't getting it these days.

Again, thanks for your service to our FREE country!!!

HermitJim said...

Hey AV...
I certainly appreciate the good review over at the Blogger's Cafe, and the good looking award (which I haven't had a chance to post yet).

I'm thankful that I have readers from as far away as I do, as it gives me a chance to learn about other countries from folks that actually live there!

My friend, thnks for coming by today!


Hey Momlady...
American history, as taught in schools now days, is so full of misinformation, it's a wonder that the kids of today know anything of the real world!

This is the reason I am so in favor of home schooling...at least, then the parents would be able to choose what to teach as fact. The PTB seem to want to "educate" our kids with their own version of the past!

In answer to the question of the rain...NO, I didn't send the rain your way! At last, something I don't have to take the blame for!

Thanks, Lady, for coming by today!


Hey Ben...
Thank you, sir, for the kind words this morning! Not sure I would be a very good teacher, but I appreciate the thought!

I do appreciate you coming by today, buddy!

Ken said...

...good post,i like it...i like a version swiped from a Skynard song(at least i think it was Skynard)

My necks always been RED,
My hair is turning WHITE,
My collar is still BLUE.

More coffee,pleeze and thank you,had a near fourteen hour night last night...

Mechanic in Illinois said...

Freedom isn't free and we must respect and stand behind our flag. That includes doing whatever we have to do the preserve our freedom. Thanks for another great lesson.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ken...
I like that second version pretty good, as it is almost me to a T!

Sounds like you have been keeping some busy and long hours, buddy! Better slow down some...maybe a nice little fishing trip!

Thanks for coming by today, buddy!


Hey Mechanic...couldn't agree with you more on that, my friend!

Thanks so much for coming by!

JoJo said...

Good Afternoon My Special One,
I have been quite busy since arrived here.
Loved your post today and yesterdays to. As for yesterday respect is almost history in its self. It is awful the way todays people are.
thanks for the your great posts.

Anonymous said...

HJ, glad you like the review. My pleasure.

Now for the second attack in one day. Ah, this wasn't planned, it landed in my plate about an hour ago. I'm not sure if you are up to this tomfoolery, but

I have an award for you. You can get it at Life...
http://itsnotthecoffin.blogspot.com
Oh, there is a little meme too. LOL

AV