Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Looking For Adventure...?

At some point in our lives, we all feel the need to have an adventure.

Some call it wanderlust, others just say "I've got some rabbit in my blood". No matter what we call it, many find the craving too strong to resist. Here is a true story about a young man who set out to enjoy a real life adventure!

Sebastian Snow’s Amazonian Adventure

Sebastian Snow started his exotic exploits in the 1950s. Compared to everyone else on this list, his adventures are quite recent. However, his eccentricities and royalist attitude were very reminiscent of Victorian explorers from the good ol’ days. Whenever trying to communicate with foreigners, his strategy was to “just speak the Queen’s English loud enough, and everybody understands.”

When he was 22, Snow signed up for an expedition looking to discover the source of the Amazon River. His group aimed to verify the notion put forward by a couple of French explorers that Ninococha, a glacial lake, was the water source for the Maranon River, the largest tributary of the Amazon. Snow and his companion John Brown set off in April 1951 and confirmed the theory.

This was the point where the mission should have ended. However, Snow wanted to become the first person to raft down the entire length of the Amazon. This was completely spur-of-the-moment. Snow was unprepared and barely had any supplies. He managed to survive by stumbling from one friendly village to another, where he could find supplies and food.

Snow had to deal with dangerous rapids, violent bouts of malaria and dysentery, and all the lethal animals the Amazon could throw at him. At one point, he was even approached by a pirate canoe, but he just started yelling Spanish-like gibberish at them, randomly shouting the word pistola until they went away. Despite all the perils, Sebastian Snow completed his journey in July 1952.

BTW, the list referred to in the first paragraph is on Listverse, right here!

Coffee adventure is out on the patio this morning, and you don't even need to be brave!

6 comments:

linda m said...

Sure wish I had his adventurous spirit. Now the illness part would be too much fun but seeing and discovering new things and places would be. It's the stuff I dream about but only get to read about. would love to join you fro coffee on the patio. I'll bring some fresh raspberry Kringle.

Chickenmom said...

I take all my adventures now by Google Earth! Raspberry Kringle - Yummy - save me a seat!!!!

Mamahen said...

Mos of my adventures are now only on the written page but I will gladly venture onto your patio...Save me some of that Kringle please :))

JO said...

I love a good adventure but a milder adventure fits the bill for me. Nice morning for coffee on the patio.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda M...
I couldn't deal with the illness either. However, part of his adventurous spirit might be because of his youth.

Thanks for stopping by today!



Hey Phyllis...
Sounds like a good way to go to me.

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Mamahen...
Nothing wrong with the written page for adventure. I do it myself!

Thanks for the visit today!



Hey Jo...
The patio is usually a safe bet.

Many thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!

Rob said...

This story has everything, even river pirates!