Saturday, August 25, 2018

Leave My Cookies Alone...!

With all the craziness in the news as of late, now all the sudden some folks want to gripe about cookies. I am talking about the eating kind and not the 'puter type.

Oreos vs. Hydrox



Oreos are the world’s most popular cookie, racking up $1.5 billion in revenue per year according to Nabisco. With that kind of success, one is bound to attract a host of imitators. Perhaps the most established of these cookie counterfeiters was the Hydrox cookie, manufactured by Sunshine, a subsidiary of Kellogg. Except things are really the other way around—Oreo is actually the rip-off brand.

Hydrox (a word combining the words “hydrogen” and “oxygen”) were introduced in 1908, while Oreos didn’t appear until 1912. Compared to Oreos, Hydrox have been called “tangy” and “less sweet,” with a cookie less absorbent to a dunking in milk. Oreo dominated the market share for decades, until Kellogg finally pulled the plug on Hydrox in 2003. There was an uproar from a small but vocal fan base, and the Hydrox reemerged briefly for its 100th anniversary before fading back into obscurity.

All I know is that oreos are just right for dunkin' in a glass of milk, plus they aren't too sweet and crumbly. Next to peanut butter cookies, they are my favorite!

Coffee out on the patio again this morning!

9 comments:

HermitJim said...


Mamahen said...

I like Oreos but I always liked the Hydrox cookies better myself, but that's just my option. I'm it to picky when it comes to cookies:))

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I like cookies...pretty much all kinds of 'em. As long as there are enough to share.
Thanks for stopping by today!

bigfoot said...

I've always thought of Oreos/Hydrox as little kid cookies. Gimme some chocolate chip peanut butter cookies, and I'm a happy camper. Big glass of cold milk too.

Momlady said...

I was so happy when I saw Hydrox at the market. Now it's just Oreos. I grew up with Hydrox so they were/are my favorite.

HermitJim said...

Hey Bigfoot...
I do like your choices, my friend!
Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Momlady...
The childhood memories get us all the time.
Thanks for the visit this morning!

JO said...

I loved the Hydrox cookies but once I moved out here I couldn't find them so it was Oreos, but I like cookies most kinds.

I'm ready for some coffee maybe I should stop off and buy us all a bunch of cookies

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I think that would be a great idea, sweetie!
Thanks for dropping in today!

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Pretty much all cookies work for me, but peanut butter is still the family favorite ~

Big hugs, peanut butter Bubba.