Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome To Janus...!


I found this article in Farmer's Almanac and I thought it might be of interest to you.

In this article there is mention of a Temple of Peace! Interesting concept, I think! See if you don't agree!

Janus


Ruler of new beginnings, gates and doors, the first hour of the day, the first day of the month, and the first month of the year, the Roman god Janus gave January its name.

He was pictured as two-headed and situated so that one head looked forward into the new year while the other took a retrospective view.

Janus also presided over the temple of peace, where the doors were opened only during wartime.

It was a place of safety, where new beginnings and renewed commitments could be forged, just as the new year is a time for us to reflect.

Just imagine! A temple where the doors were always opened during time of war, as though they were welcoming home the warriors! During time of peace, the very same doors were left shut in order to keep war from entering!

I think we need one of these in Washington, just as a reminder! Just my opinion!

Fresh coffee on the patio this morning! What a way to start the New Year...coffee with good friends!

8 comments:

Marie said...

Seems like I always learn something new when I come by and the info about Janus is no exception...:) Happy New Year to you and yours--hope you have a fantastic 2012!

HermitJim said...

Hey Marie...
I'm glad to be able to share a little something new with you! Happy New Year to you and yours, my friend!

Thanks for the visit today!

Caddie said...

May this new year bring you and all of us the heights of delight, Hermit.

I'll share a cup with you! Is it piping hot? Appears time for me to shop for a new coffee pot.

Ben in Texas said...

Thanks for the last years posting and lessons. Hope you continue this year.
Have the best Year ever this 2012

Momlady said...

May you and Nanny have a blessed year.

linda m said...

Happy New Year! Thanks for all of your wonderful, informative posts of 2011. I have enjoyed ready them. May 2012 bring you much happiness.

JO said...

Happy New Year My Special Friend
May 2012 bring you happiness and good health.
And bring us many new lessons from you.
Coffee is much needed this morning.:\

HermitJim said...

Hey Ellen...
The very same good wishes back at ya, lady!

Thanks so much for coming by today!


Hey Sissy...
I know the feeling about the coffee pot! I just won a new one at an auction site I just joined!

Really high dollar pot, but I got it for about $.20...plus shipping!

All in all about $9.00! Cool!

Happy New Year, and thanks for coming by for a cup!


Hey Ben...
I'm certainly going to try, buddy!

Maybe this year we can all get together for a face to face, ya reckon?

Have a great day, buddy, and thanks for coming by today!


Hey Momlady...
I really appreciate the thought and I hope you have a wonderful year!

Peace to ya and Happy New Year!


Hey Linda...
I'm certainly glad you enjoyed them, my friend!

The very best to you and the family this new year!

Thanks for coming by!


Hey JoJo...
Nothing but big hugs and best wishes for you, my special friend!

I'm glad I have friends like you to start the new year with!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by today!